1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Bike cleaning/Maintence

Following the guide linked in the stickies I pulled of my cassette and gave it a good clean. While cleaning I noticed two things, this:

I'm guessing it's not good? Any way to prevent it?

And second is that the rear brake rotor has a bit of play in it, it's a centre locking type and the play seems to be in rivets that hold the main rotor to the centre bit, is it time for a new one?

Also before and after cleaning the cassette:

Fat-tired Roadie
    Is the problem we're supposed to see in the first pic that your spokes are chewed up?

That's from overshifting. If your rear derailleur's limit screw is set correctly it shouldn't happen. I find the names for the screws really ambiguous. So before putting the chain back on, push the derailleur toward the larger cogs with your fingers. You should see which screw stops its motion. Ideally, the tab on the derailleur cage should make contact with that before it moves far enough to overshift. Tighten it too much and the last shift will feel a lot more difficult, which is bad for the shifter, or you won't be able to get into that gear at all.

I know some two-piece rotors have play on purpose. I don't know if yours do. Can you give us make and model? How old are they?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

ragley blue pig x

Re: Bike cleaning/Maintence

Looks like the cassettes been rubbing the spokes(or horror of horrors the chains been dropped) cant think of anything to prevent that except a plastic idiot guard or whatever cassette the hub manufacturer recommends

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Is the problem we're supposed to see in the first pic that your spokes are chewed up?

That's from overshifting. If your rear derailleur's limit screw is set correctly it shouldn't happen. I find the names for the screws really ambiguous. So before putting the chain back on, push the derailleur toward the larger cogs with your fingers. You should see which screw stops its motion. Ideally, the tab on the derailleur cage should make contact with that before it moves far enough to overshift. Tighten it too much and the last shift will feel a lot more difficult, which is bad for the shifter, or you won't be able to get into that gear at all.

I know some two-piece rotors have play on purpose. I don't know if yours do. Can you give us make and model? How old are they?
    I can think of once or twice I've dropped the chain, this is the first time I've taken the cassette off so it's likely been like that for awhile.

Here is a little closer view, none of my lenses have particuly good maxium magnifaction :P

As for the rotor, it an Avid 185mm, and has "G3CL" stamped on it, the front is the same but doesn't have any play in it. They are nearly three years old:

mtbr member
    Those spokes are pretty chewed but I've seen worse. I would recommend first checking the derailleur hanger, if you don't have a tool just eye-ball the derailleur and make sure the cage looks in line (parallel) to the cassette cogs.

Assuming all is well there check that low limit screw again. Don't rely on just the shift lever to set it, physically push the derailleur cage over to insure it is hitting the limit and unable to shift over the cog.

Fat-tired Roadie
    One or two drops is enough to do some pretty ugly-looking damage.

I could see replacing the rear rotor. Since you know it's not supposed to have play, this may be your warning before you start losing rivets or something.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    How much play does it have in to rotor? I had those on one of my bikes and they had some play from the get-go. I think they are just made cheaply, but as long as it does not get too bad, then they are probably fine. If you do get some new ones though get a better one like in this LINK, but not the $18 one cause it is made cheaply as well and may face the same problems.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My brakes are 185mm, and those are all 180mm, will those work or will I need a new adaptor?