1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bike choice help - Cinder Cone?

Seems like I've found an '08 Kona Cinder Cone that's been lightly used locally. I offered $360 and he took it. Two things... Is that a good price for a used Cinder Cone? And is the Cinder Cone a good bike? I haven't actually rode the bike yet but comparing against the geometries from the bikes I have rode it seems like the bike will fit fine. Here's the bikepedia link if it helps. It's mainly going to be used for firetrail & singletrack riding. I'm 5'9" 165lb so weight isn't too much of an issue since I could lose 10 lbs myself.

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...3237&Type=bike

Just second guessing myself before actually buying. Thanks for any help in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If the bike fits you and is in good shape - I think you got a decent deal. From the link, you paid less than 50% of retail when it was new, and the Cinder Cone isn't a bad hardtail mountain bike. Just upgrade the parts as they wear out or break....if the frame is used as intended it should last you a long, long time.

BTW - I started on a Kona Blast and sure wish I would have kept that bike!!!

Gary J.