1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Bike choice help

So my brother is getting a bike. He will be using it for pavement primarily at college, but would like to be able to ride trails somewhat. I wouldn't say he is going to do much hard core mountain biking, but I fear getting a bike that will break if he hits a trail too hard.

I was looking at the Giant Roam 1. That is around his price range. But I fear it may not hold up enough. Yet I don't want to have him get a bike that will be bad for riding on pavement (even though most mountain bikes seem to do fine.)

But with his budget, I don't see getting anything too good.

Anyone have any recommendations? Get the Roam 1 and just take it easy? Or is there something that may do better on trails and still be fine for casual riding around college?

Picture Unrelated
    First off: the Roam is not a mountain bike and it is unsuitable for off-road use. Perhaps if your trails were smooth dirt roads it would be sufficient, but it is not a trail worthy bike. The geometry is all wrong and the frame has insufficient clearance for any kind of off-road suitable tire.

Second: college is a bad place for a shiny new bike if he's planning on riding it to classes and leaving it outside a bunch. It's going to get stolen or stripped or just bashed up.

Here's my advice: buy two bikes. Seems impossible but wait, there's more. The Giant Revel is a far better bike if trails are in the forecast. You can make the Revel into a better pavement bike by putting on skinny high pressure tires but you can't make a Roam into a mountain bike. Plus, if you got the Revel 2 you have nearly a $100 left over compared to the Roam to search goodwill shops, bike collectives, and pawn shops for a "beater" or "townie" bike which can be left outside during classes or chained up at night with little fear. Means he'll need to break down the good bike and keep it under the bed, but he'll hardly be the first person to pull that off.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for your input, I took a look at the revel, looks much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah, no nice bikes in college. too high a chance it gets stolen.

mtbr member
    i would look at the giant talon one would be a good bike for road and street

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Similar to the Revel, just a little more money, yes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaintanthemx29 View Post
    i would look at the giant talon one would be a good bike for road and street
    I agree. I have this the Giant Talon 1 and it's an awesome bike for the price. I use it for both commute and tough trails. This bike is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by monopolybag View Post
    Similar to the Revel, just a little more money, yes?
    Similar no. Better yes. The Talon 1 has superior components like hydraulic brakes and a lockout fork which is crazy helpful on the road. I would also get a pair of some road tires if it will be used mostly on road. Slap those on and put the original mtb tires on when he hits the trails.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    but I would definitely stick to 29ers if the main use would be road and want to stick to mtbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    ...college is a bad place for a shiny new bike if he's planning on riding it to classes and leaving it outside a bunch. It's going to get stolen or stripped or just bashed up.

Here's my advice: buy two bikes....
    Best advice really. It will get stolen especially if it looks cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Honestly, this college is not known for bikes stolen. It is in the middle of no where. BUT it is still a risk. I understand that. Have had friends bike's stolen before. I think I have my brother looking around at two bikes now like advised. Found some bikes that will get the job done on Craigslist.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSZ View Post
    Best advice really. It will get stolen especially if it looks cool.
    Sad and true, unfortunately.