1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Bike build questions

Hi all. Long time lurker first title poster. Seems like a noob question so I will post it here.

I ride a 2014 Rumblefish and have recently acquired a used Level Betty for almost nothing. So my question is how would you guys build the Level Betty? Is it worth putting money into?

I would pretty much need to replace every component as every thing on it is stock from 1999. My goal is to have a fun second bike with 26" and maybe a different drive train to mix up my riding or let friends ride.

I have about 1000-1500 to spend. Any ideas on how to build this?? Should I just scrap the Betty and go new??

thanks for any help and insight guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    dude, u could find something much nicer on CL for $1500, don't drop that much money on that level betty, that frame design its so old i don't think it will perform, you could get a brand new trek FS for less than $2k

turtles make me hot
    Really man... Like he said.
    I like turtles

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Really man... Like he said.
    Yeah, what he said.

There is a reason that you got that Level Better for almost nothing.

If you are going to fix it up, first component I would replace is the frame. You can probably get a newer frame with a whole bike attached to it for $1500.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

turtles make me hot
    I gotta say it. The ONLY place I see those Y bikes any more are chained to the fence where all the day laborers hang out.
    I like turtles