Wēk Ss

is this bike a bit small?

I'm between sizes, like most people. This here is a 2009 Diamondback Mission in medium. I've had this bike for about a year, and it feels fine. It's just when someone took a picture cruising around a parking lot to check bike operation before a ride, it looks small. A large would have a 1" longer TT, and I'm running a 65mm stem with 780mm bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If it feels fine, then why worry? Like most things fit is as much personal preference as anything. Some people like a smaller bike, some people a larger bike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I'm between sizes, like most people. This here is a 2009 Diamondback Mission in medium. I've had this bike for about a year, and it feels fine. It's just when someone took a picture cruising around a parking lot to check bike operation before a ride, it looks small. A large would have a 1" longer TT, and I'm running a 65mm stem with 780mm bars.
    It's what you like. Like you I between sizes Large and Medium and I've always preferred the medium for more of a BMX feel.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    It's much easier to make a small bike feel bigger than make a big bike feel smaller. If someone is between sizes I normally suggest the smaller size

Fat-tired Roadie
    IME, the people who ride trails in a way that requires pads also ride their bikes in a way that causes them to prefer a smaller bike and shorter reach. If you like it, don't worry about it.

Here are two experiments to try, if it's just eating away at your mind. First, just try riding someone else's bike that has a top tube a bit longer. A lot of trail bikes have relatively similar geometry, so just going up a size is not a terrible experiment, although you should still go online and double-check the charts.

Second, try putting an 80mm stem on. If your bike's too small for you, that'll feel better. IME, 80mm stems still handle great on the way down, but I'm a guy who prefers narrowish bars, a longish stem, and feels like he's cheating when he climbs a fire road instead of a singletrack.

EDIT: And, for me, sitting that upright would not be okay. But I suspect we're looking for different things from our setups.
    Last edited by AndrwSwitch; 09-18-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    In the picture, it kind of looks like he's squished forward... But this is the first time, i've actually seen a biker from the side, to care about fitting on the bike..

But from the guys i see biking, i think the bike is okay... I've seen guys on 26ers that are like 6'7, and they seem comfy on them.

IMO, if it feels comfy, then heck, ride it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    honestly it is a bad pic to try and make a judgement from. bad light/angle. it looks fine though. I'm between medium and large also but I always ride a medium.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A bike that is too small will have a tendency to lift the front much easier than a bike that balances your weight f/r better. A small bike will unload the front tire much more than a better sized bike, on descents.

Wēk Ss
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm not really stressing on it, it's more for curiosity on my next bike/upgrade. I just don't want to get into bad form on fitment and get used to that.

@AndrwSwitch, I can put a 90mm on it, as I have one in my bin. I can also drop my handlebars, as I have it shimmed up on a new fork that I have not decided how much to cut off yet other than the 1" I took off (making it a 9" steerer).

I do have a bike with a slightly longer TT, but at the same time, I use a shorter stem with a 0 offset seatpost. It's a large Ragley mmmbop with a 0 setback seatpost, and a 50mm stem. The Diamondback has a 20mm offset with a 65mm stem. Climbing on both bikes do kinda suck, so perhaps this will help some.

I definitely can't be roadie style, as I'm not that flexible with lower back problems from a slipped disc. I'm going to try one of those fitment calculators, but the last time I tried it told me to go for a bike with 26.5" (horizontal ETT + stem).

In the above picture, I don't ride like that. I'm more bent over with my shoulders intersecting the plane of the fork. When I climb, it's shoulders and chest down to the bars. My arms are usually more bent at the elbows. At the same time, I don't use this bike for flat rides. It's reserved for technical rides.

@bing! it is a bit easy for me to unload the front when I sit up like in the picture or when I move behind the seat so that my shoulders are behind the bars. When I'm in attack, I'm just a bit behind the seat (following the seatpost angle), shoulders over the bars, but not sure how far forward I am. When I "oh ****", I do have a tendancy to get back, which unloads the front. That's more a problem with technique I think...or rather mentally bailing out. I'm far from experienced though. From your description though, it sounds too small.

It's comfy for sure, but always looking to improve and not get into bad habits (which is not actually going too well right now).

Class Clown
    I was in between a 17" and 19" frame and went with the smaller frame. I'm thinking it must be better for me especially in technical sections and just general toss-ability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think it is..If you fill uncomfortable an it is small..maybe you need to make some changes..and i think it is not quite expensive..you have a nice bike..and it seen really good..i hope i have 1 like you have