1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Which bike is better??? Help!!!

Hey everyone. I'm just starting to get into mountain bike riding. I went to a well known very reputable bike shop and have come down to 2 bike options as a starter bike. My budget is around $500 to $600. I want a bike that is durable, rated well, and going to last me at least a few years. A decent entry level bike. Here is what I've narrowed it down to:
    Fuji Nevada 29 1.7
    Jamis Trail X3

The Fuji has 29ers an basic decent components.
    The Jamis has 26 wheels but slightly better components.

Has anyone owned/ridden either model? Pros and cons? Thoughts?
    anyvhelp would be MUCH appreciated!!

Captain Climber
    Airborne Guardian will beat them both IMO.

mtbr member
    Fuji- don't waste your time with anything featuring Tourney components. that is Shimano's bottom-of-the-barrel component line. they are truly horrible. that bike won't last 50 miles on a bike path, let alone trails.

The Jamis looks much better. still very entry-level components but it's two steps above the Fuji in quality.

where do you plan to ride this bike? back and forth to work? bike paths? local trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I believe the Fuji and jamis both have Shimano acera (sp) components. Right now I will be riding on just bike paths and trails. Nothing hard core

mtbr member
    I'd go Fuji as its a 29er and you will be able to upgrade the Suntour shock for cheap (find the thread) should you decide you need more. Most of the other components are very similar.

Also, are these the only two brands available at your shop? Most of the majors have decent hard tail options in the under $600 price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Airborne Guardian has a fork you can ride on trails and the Fuji can only go on bike paths without the 175 upgrade.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which bike is better??? Help!!!-guardian.jpg  

mtbr member
    +1 on the Airborne. Great company to work with and they stand behind their products. Fezzari might also have something to offer in your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Airborne Guardian has a fork you can ride on trails and the Fuji can only go on bike paths without the 175 upgrade.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of riding will the Guardian stand up to?

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They're out of stock on all of the sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
    They're out of stock on all of the sizes.
    I would call them and speak with someone.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510 View Post
    I would call them and speak with someone.
    Will do tomorrow. I've been looking for a couple of weeks and this bike seems hard to beat. Clicked add to cart and out of stock. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Will do tomorrow. I've been looking for a couple of weeks and this bike seems hard to beat. Clicked add to cart and out of stock. Bummer.
    I missed this the first time.
    PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE SOLD OUT OF 18" and 20" GUARDIANS. WE EXPECT TO HAVE MORE IN THE 3RD WEEK IN JULY 2013. THANKS!

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Which bike is better??? Help!!!

Sucks. I don't feel like waiting that long. Search continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Fezzari Lone Peak is very similar to the Jamis but it is $100 cheaper. Fezzari is a really cool company, give them a call and talk to them or shoot them an email.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are going to do mail order ,Bikes Direct and Price Point are other places to look.

mtbr member
    Competitive Cyclist return policy is tough to beat

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    With that price range, its a given that youll have low entry level components. Nothing wrong with that, just remember to use the bike as its intended to use. For example, dont try to hit a 4ft drop or blast through a rock garden on a low end fork/group set. Nothing good will come from it. Is this something you plan on upgrading later on? When I recommend bikes to customers (i only sell parts, not bikes...so im not bias on particular brands) i always encourage them consider frame and suspension as top priority, and components second. Reason being, a higher end frame usually has more commonly used standards which make component upgrades a little more accessible (tapered headtube, threaded or press fit bottom bracket, common size seatpost, etc). Plus, when you turn into a full blown bike junkie...it will be worth investing money into.

In your situation, youd be getting A LOT more bike when buying online with something like the airbourne...maybe even motobecane...or similiar. If your size is out of stock, waiting a few weeks now might be better then buyers remorse later. If you gotta go with one from the local shop, my choice would be the 29er. For pedaling around on smooth-easy trails the bigger wheels have more advantages....as long as your comfortable on the bike and it fits you. Its not uncommon for someone to lose interest in the sport because their bike is nothing but a headache and/or not enjoyable to ride around. I know this wasnt mentioned but just focus on getting something that fits you well...dont settle for a different size just because you feel like its a better deal. Fitment is an important part of enjoying the sport. I know a lot of people who bought a smaller or bigger frame because it was a better "deal" (or the shop was trying to unload a size they had on hand) without realizing the negative affect it has on the fun factor.

Good luck! Hope you find something!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For a little more work you can get a better bike for the same money.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    This has better geo than a Motobecane. They are both made by Kinesis just like Trek.

$450 for the bike.
    $175+ ship for a Raidon air fork from Nick at Suntour.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Read the reviews, a major upgrade.

Here's the install video--
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

Put on some Nobby Nics Performance 29x2,25 20psi front 25 rear depending on your weight.
    You can ride anywhere for several seasons.