1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

which bike is better? GT Avalanche / GF

I have decided to buy my first bike in 20 years. I am about 6'0 tall, 250lbs and a 30 inch inseam. I am trying to lose weight and get into better shape riding first on the road and maybe later on the trails. I would like to buy a used bike to get a better value. I am looking at two and wonder which one is better and why?

2009 Gold Series 6061 T6 Malin - 19" - Asking $450
    Black 0 Miles ridden
    Disk brakes
    Rock Shock
    Medium bike range

2008 GT Avalanche 1.0
    Crank Bros Smarty pedals, Shimano Deore LX, WTB wheels, WTB seat, Shimano hydrolic disc brakes, 2.3" WTB Weirwolf tires with 98% tread.

mtbr member
    Personally I like the Fisher Marlin better (you typed Malin, so I figured Marlin). They bikes differences are very minimal in a stock setup. Looks like the Giant has been upgraded because the Shimano Hydros are not stock.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

No good in rock gardens..
    Bikepedia specs for both bikes, stock.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...Disc&Type=bike

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...Disc&Type=bike

There's really not much in it component wise. If the GT has Shimano hydraulic discs, they are better brakes than the Avid BB's listed as standard on the Fisher.

I'd prefer the newer of the two bikes myself, if the Fisher is a brand new bike. Best best is to ride both and see which one feels best as far as fit goes, and there' not a huge difference on paper, but one might feel better to you than the other.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....