1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

This bike is the BEST

Actually I don't have the best bike for you but it seems that everyone is asking the same questions over and over
    without even looking through any of the topics first.
    It would be great if someone/forum staff could accumulate and tabulate the different bikes, parts, components...etc and possibly break them down into different price ranges.
    I know I know, it would take a lot of work and you would have to update constantly, but it would save a lot of people from asking the same questions.
    It would also free up some of the clutter here and possible speed up the connection.
    Someone/forum staff should at least weed old older topics and videos to help with connection speed.
    Anyway....my 2 cents worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    Actually I don't have the best bike for you but it seems that everyone is asking the same questions over and over
    without even looking through any of the topics first.
    It would be great if someone/forum staff could accumulate and tabulate the different bikes, parts, components...etc and possibly break them down into different price ranges.
    I know I know, it would take a lot of work and you would have to update constantly, but it would save a lot of people from asking the same questions.
    It would also free up some of the clutter here and possible speed up the connection.
    Someone/forum staff should at least weed old older topics and videos to help with connection speed.
    Anyway....my 2 cents worth.
    I think it would be good to have a list of all the parts from top parts to lowest parts. That way a new person could see a Reba fork is better than a Recon, or an XTR better than a LX. Other than that there is no way to directly compare bikes. Too many variables, and something thats "perfect" on paper may never fit you right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think this is a great idea, but I still think a lot of people are still going to post without looking/searching.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    I think it would be good to have a list of all the parts from top parts to lowest parts. That way a new person could see a Reba fork is better than a Recon, or an XTR better than a LX.
    As a new person to the sport this would be immensley helpful to me. I have been researching (and searching the forum here) alot and find the components to be the most confusing.
    For example, if I was looking at a trek bike that was $1000 and had lower grade components than a specialized for $1000 I would have no idea which was the better buy. Obviously the frame and how the bike fits you is the most important but all things being equal I'd like to get the best components for the $.
    And some people say that v-brakes are better than cheap disc brakes. I am sure that's true but have no idea if there are cheap v-brakes.

It's a whole new world to me (and probably alot of the people that make the "Which bike is best") and we'll catch on sooner or later.

I would also like to add a Thank You to the "veterans" here at this board for being patient with us new guys/gals and spreading their wisdom.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

look at the top of your screen...

see that hyperlink that reads "Reviews". It has CUSTOMER reviews, prices to a lot of the bikes & components, etc.

Ahhhh, the answer to all of your questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    see that hyperlink that reads "Reviews". It has CUSTOMER reviews, prices to a lot of the bikes & components, etc.
    Ahhhh, the answer to all of your questions.
    A little snarky today, are we?
    I love this site....MTBR.com is a bottomless source of information on all sorts of topics....but it's not a very well designed site. The navigation is terrible, and the forum search button (of all things) is poorly placed. Once you've navigated around for a while, things make sense, but for the new posters (who we're addressing in this thread) it's very hard to locate anything, so it's easier to just make a new thread.

I agree, a component hierarchy would be a good list. I'm good with the mountain components, but I'm in the dark when it comes to road component levels. They make no sense. Even worse is when somebody lists an XT derailleur as an "M771".

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i know what your saying about the layout. when you log in it takes you directly to classic forums. i have been lurking around here for a few months soaking all the wisdom i could until last week i just realized there was specific forums for states and bike manufactures. i had no idea cuz i never click on mtbr forums button
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheBush
    If you live long enough, you'll discover that most people are dull, boring and lazy..

Pot is optional.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    First reply broken into another thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    On another fourm I frequent, they have one thread for all the "which should I buy" questions.