1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    dgs
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Bike Assembly Options - Pls. Help!

Hi,

Newbie to the biking world!

Just got a mail order bike. What are my options for assembly?

They say 90% of the bike is pre-assembled. Can a layman put the rest together with the right tools?

* Are the local shops receptive of assembly orders for mail order bikes?
    * If so, do they do it in front of you? After reading a couple of other posts here, have become a bit paranoid about the local shops switching components for cheaper ones, more so when the bike wasn't purchased from them!
    * What's the typical charge?
    * Are follow up services/tune-ups included?

I hate it when I thoughts of being cheated cross my mind...am sure the world's better than that....but then some posts here.....

Need some assurance and what to expect!

Thanks in advance.

Going for a ride......
    G'day,

What sort of bike did you buy?

If it's 90% assembled, generally you will probably have to put the following items on:
    Pedals (either a spanner or allen key)
    Handlebar (allen key - unless it's a wallmart type bike)
    Seat & seatpost?
    Possibly the wheels.

I think that's about it. And it should come with a users manual or some form of instructions anyway. If you're really unsure it would probably be best to take it to your LBS, if they're not a busy sort of place and don't mind doing it there and then it would probably take them less than 10 minutes.
    energetix

Bike to the Bone...
    I don't think that a LBS will mind doing labor, in fact, you're sending business their way. I don't know how much they will charge you, since you didn't buy it from them. I'm in Mexico, and that kind of service is pretty cheap, but I can't compare those prices to U.S. prices... good luck!

Custom User Title
    If you are unsure on how to setup brakes and shifters I would take it to a shop or someone who knows what they are doing. It gets to be more of a safety issue at this point. Plus if you walk in and acknowledge their superior skills in assembling a bike they will charge their fee, probably around $50 and you will get minimal hassle. Also if you ask about more services, which means potential money for them, makes them happy. Maybe even buy an item, even if it is only $5-$10.

I have only experianced a couple of shops where they people were tools. Some of them might even rub in the fact that, "if you bought it here.......". If you have a couple of shops for options call and ask what their assembly fee is. Then go to the one who you think is better. Do you know anyone who is a regular at a shop? Or anyone else that bikes on a regular basis? Talk to them.

Good luck
    Team MOJO Wheels.

ride hard take risks
    Every one has great advise, cant add anything, take it to the LBS & buy some gear.

dgs
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks everyone!

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Some LBS's might be slightly annoyed you bought online and expect them to fix it.. But they will prolly welcome the work. I wouldn't expect any great deals or anything though... Unlike if you bought a bike there they would do tune ups for free and sometimes give you deals.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I bought an Ibex and assembled it myself. Had a couple of adjustment issues and brought it to my local LBS. for a fee they were happy to tune it up and after a month retune it for free. I love the bike and they were more than happy to check out a different bike (with some sweet components!). Although I obviously didn't buy the bike there i still support them, I bought my biking shoes from them and a helmet for my son from them, they've tuned up 3 other bikes we own, I'll buy my sons next bike through them. It's good support the local guy, he's employing local people, paying taxes, putting food on the table and paying too much for gas like the rest of us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the LBS is making a buck off of you for bringing your bike to them regardless of where you bought it and is happy for the business. And if they are smart they'll give you the best customer service so you'll buy all your gear from them in the future and hopefully your next bike.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by DLP
    I bought an Ibex and assembled it myself. Had a couple of adjustment issues and brought it to my local LBS. for a fee they were happy to tune it up and after a month retune it for free. I love the bike and they were more than happy to check out a different bike (with some sweet components!). Although I obviously didn't buy the bike there i still support them, I bought my biking shoes from them and a helmet for my son from them, they've tuned up 3 other bikes we own, I'll buy my sons next bike through them. It's good support the local guy, he's employing local people, paying taxes, putting food on the table and paying too much for gas like the rest of us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the LBS is making a buck off of you for bringing your bike to them regardless of where you bought it and is happy for the business. And if they are smart they'll give you the best customer service so you'll buy all your gear from them in the future and hopefully your next bike.

Awsome, alot of people coment on that saying if you buy your bike from Ibex no one will work on it & i say BS its a bicycle its generic, its now a Ferarri or a GMC. Thank you very much for this post, your awsome!!!!

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-440K-Details.html