Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

This Bike any good?

846 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jake Pay 
#1 ·
GT 2007 Avalanche 1.0 Disc Is this bike any good? and how does it compare to the ibex trophy ss

#2 ·
LivingLegend912 said:
GT 2007 Avalanche 1.0 Disc Is this bike any good? and how does it compare to the ibex trophy ss
The IBEX Trophy SS is a single-speed (I know, the photo showing on our website right now is of the Trophy Comp X7, but that's the closest we've got until new photos come in a couple of weeks from now). The IBEX Alpine 650 is the model that is closest to that GT model. They share the same shifters & derailleurs, anyway. The Alpine 650 will have a much better fork, nicer brakes, better crankset and better wheels, though.

If you go into the same price range as the GT, you'd be looking at the IBEX Trophy Comp & Trophy Comp X7 (both are just $50 more than GT's MSRP) and either of those models is going to have better everything.

Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

#5 ·
Good, but not thrilling

Overall, the GT appears to be a good bike. I would have some concerns about the fork and brakes. They might be good, but they are uncommon and therefore may require long wait times should anything go wrong with them. Its best to stick with Rock Shox and Manitou (in your price range) for forks and Avid, Hayes, or Shimano (again, in your price range) for brakes. I think you could do a lot better for $750 though. I still think going through a bike shop is your best bet for your first bike purchase. Have you checked out a Specialized dealer yet? The Rockhopper Disc is a great bike at $650...that'd leave you enough to buy a helmet, gloves, and a pair of shorts!

Keep Looking
:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.