1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Which bike? ? ?

mtbr member

Which bike? ? ?

http://www.rei.com/product/762205
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/775010

Which bike would you prefer? Are there any other bikes in this bike range worth looking at? THANKS!

mtbr member
    A little more enough. . . The bike will be used for a little bit of street riding, but mostly dirt trails. I used to ride bmx and prefer the style of the trail bikes, but am upon to other options. I figured it is better to go for a hardtail because I will get a better bike for the $$$. THANKS!

MTBR Member
    Well those are two different kinds of bikes...what kind of riding do you plan on doing? Marin makes good bikes from what I hear but maybe you should also check out your local bike shop, especially if you are new to the sport...they can be very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The bobcat is a cross country style hardtail and for the price you could pick up a Gary fisher wahoo or trek 4500 with disc brakes for the same chunk of change and have bike shop service plans and a lifetime warranty. Even a hard rock from specialized would be better kitted out for the same amount of cash and you could get some good service from a bike shop to be sure the bike is in tip top shape.

The second bike is a dj or urban assault style bike made for jumping and not really for long trail rides.

What type of riding do you plan on doing?

mtbr member
    I tried a few out at the bike shop and did not like a lot of them which make you feel bent over too far forward. I will take a look at the Gary Fisher wahoo. I also like the bike not too heavy, it just feel more comfortable and easier to hop around on.

MTBR Member
    Are you planning on mostly riding XC? Definitely check out the wahoo or perhaps even the marlin at that price range. Not everyone likes the feel of the genesis geometry but you should be able to tell right off. I would probably avoid getting a bike online especially if you have never rode it. Its probably pretty tough to tell the fit just looking at it. You said that you went to some of the local shops...which bikes or brands did you try out? Anyhow good luck with the search.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you felt bent over on the other bikes, you can forget the Fisher. They have some of the longest top tubes of any bike - more bent over. Look at bikes with shorter effective tt's like the Treks (same dealer). If a bike doesn't feel comfortable, ask the dealer about moving the seat forward to shorten the cockpit. Small adjustments make a big difference to me.

You may also want to ask about riser handle bars, which will put you in a more upright position. As you ride more and your body gets accustomed to it, you may find that you like just a tad lower position.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As rlouder said, if you don't like being bent over farther like a racing stance, then the gary fisher G2 geometry is out of the question. If you do fall in love with a G2 geometry bike though by moving the seat forward, changing the degree angle of the stem, or adding riser bars can all make a huge comfort difference. I know I didn't care for the G2 geometry at first, but I own a gary fisher bike and just had the shop swap out the stem for a more steep angle stem to give me a more upright feel. Now my G2 bike fits perfectly and is extremely comfortable. On the other hand if it doesn't fit right at all, you will know it and no little change will fix it. DO NOT let a shop sell you a bike that doesn't feel right to you fit wise.

Try out a trek 4300 and 4500. Both are excellent starter bikes for XC riding, which sounds to me like it may be the type of riding you want to do.

mtbr member
    I ended up going to performance today and trying a few out. I found the 19.5 warrior pretty comfy and it seems like a good bang for the buck. Now I just need to decide which on to get:

Which Warrior to get? ? ?

MTBR Member
    Having trouble loading up the Performance page...which bike is it?

mtbr member
    I was having some trouble with that today as well, their page must be messed up. I am leaning toward the Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 ($399), but I am also considering the Warror 5.0 (649) (from rscycle.com) and Warrior 5.5 (from performance, hoping they will price match the 5.0 but not sure). Thanks Again!

MTBR Member
    I'm pretty sure that they would match that price being that is only a 50 dollar difference. If that is the case definitely go with the 5.5. Also from performance you will get some tune-ups that will come in handy not to mention the knowledge you can gain from the shop. I believe you will get a little better performance from the X-7 RD as opposed to the Deore LX. I have the deore LX and it works great but I believe that it is about on par with the sram x-5 so you might get a little better performance out of the seven. Did you like the way the 5.5 shifted at the shop? That has the dual thumb shifters where the 5.0 has the deore setup with the trigger finger and thumb shifter which I prefer but that shouldn't be a big deal. As far as the 3.0 it looks like a sweet deal. I'm not familiar with that fork but zochi makes good products. It has shimano deore components which are good but those brakes are not going to perform as well as the hydraulics. It's a tough call. I would probably say the 5.0 is out especially if they can match that price at Performance. I do like that fork on the 5.0 though. I have a Tora 302 soloair and it works well. I'm not sure if that helps you at all but get back to me. When do you plan on making a purchase? keep us posted and gl

mtbr member
    I think I am going to get it within the next week or so. I am leaning towards the 5.5, but we will see.

mtbr member
    Any other opinions?

MTBR Member
    If you are tight on money right now go with the 3.0 if you are eager to make the purchase. But, I think that the 5.5 would be well worth the extra money. Both are great bikes. I wish I had seen one of those in the shops I went to when I picked up my fisher. They are a great value.