1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Which bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Which bike?

Hopefuly next year I may be able to pass down my bike and get the one I really want. My decission is between ROCKHOPPER COMP and Gary Fisher Tassajara.
    I have ridden on both. Like them both. I have plenty of time to make a decision but just wanted to know what others think. Is one better than ther other? One frame better than the other? I have checked out the components and they both look good. Both bikes ride nice. Both are about the same price.
    Another thing is should I go disk. Is it really better? Do they last, hows the rapair, is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both bikes are just fine. Get discs if you think you'll be riding in lots of wet conditions. If they are discs using a fluid to transfer power from the lever and they fail then yes they are more difficult to work on than say mechanical discs(good ones that is).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would say that if you even THINK you might want disc brakes it is cheaper and easier to get them on the bike new. It is more expensive to upgrade later, replacing wheels(if the bike did not come with disc hubs) and buying the brakes too.