mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Big Newb Mistake Disc Brakes

Hey all,

I made a real newb mistake. My disc brakes were not stopping and then I realized I had been shooting lube into the disc brakes and all over other brake components. How do I dry the lube up so I can stop!

Thanks,

Jake

On wuss patrol

Give your bike to me--for free...

... and start over. Just box it up and send it to me and I'll even pay for shipping.

Seriously, you may need new brake pads and to clean the rotors with iso alcohol. I have even heard of people lightly sanding the rotors with a fine grit to get a clean, smooth, machined-like surface.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

AZ
    banned
    Take out the pads and bake them in the oven until they quit smoking and then sand them lightly with 180 grit . Clean everything else with Iso alcohol in a very well ventilated area , preferably outside away from any open flames . Good luck .

bi-winning
    Yup. Clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol. You will likely need to replace the contaminated pads.

Then, bed the brake pads in again, and you should have your stopping power back.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

the test dummy
    two things first do what AZ.mtns said. and secondly what did you think you were doing shooting lube on the brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    ... what did you think you were doing shooting lube on the brakes.
    Maybe they were a little noisy and he thought lube would quiet them down?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm guessing a poorly aimed spray can of chain lube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Maybe they were a little noisy and he thought lube would quiet them down?
    I just carelessly let some lube get on the pads. It is a 2010 trek 3900. where online can I find new pads. thanks

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanfirehawk
    I just carelessly let some lube get on the pads. It is a 2010 trek 3900. where online can I find new pads. thanks
    what kinda brakes do you have
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Take out the pads and bake them in the oven until they quit smoking and then sand them lightly with 180 grit . Clean everything else with Iso alcohol in a very well ventilated area , preferably outside away from any open flames . Good luck .
    Are you talking about putting the following component in the oven or the actual "pads" that connect with the "disc".

http://www.scooterpart.net/productim...Brake_Disc.jpg

Can the actual disc be damaged from the oil?

the test dummy
    Are you talking about putting the following component in the oven or the actual "pads" that connect with the "disc".

http://www.scooterpart.net/productim...Brake_Disc.jpg

Can the actual disc be damaged from the oil?
    the pads go in the oven clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

AZ
    banned
    the pads go in the oven clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol.

Yep , the pads , bake them @ 300 until they quit smoking .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    what kinda brakes do you have
    I can't find what kind of brakes I have. I have shimano levers, promax rotors, but cannot find information on the pads. how do i find it out?

mtbr member
    I can't find what kind of brakes I have. I have shimano levers, promax rotors, but cannot find information on the pads. how do i find it out?
    Last resort: Post a picture of the pads. Somebody will recognize them.

Also possible: There might be a spec on the back side of the pads.Or on the calipers.Or,maybe the web site of the manufacturer gives a hint. What bike ist it?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

too cold to ride
    I think he said 2010 trek 3900.

If you bought the bike at a local shop, give them a ring. If not, email Trek's customer service. I have to think you'll be able to find a cheap replacement on eBay or Jenson.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...Disc&Type=bike

If that is your bike you have ProMax mechanical disc brakes. I don't know what style pad they use and you'd probably have to get them ordered but I bet that for close to the price of four sets of pads (2 x front & back) you could put BB7s on that are much better brakes (and come with a set of pads).

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Last resort: Post a picture of the pads. Somebody will recognize them.

Also possible: There might be a spec on the back side of the pads.Or on the calipers.Or,maybe the web site of the manufacturer gives a hint. What bike ist it?
    There is an "IN" "J" and "V" on the pads outside stamped into the metal.

Any guesses as to who might make them. I will post a picture if no one knows.

They are shaped like these ones but different color, backside stamping, etc.

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/shopi...s/AV693005.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How do you know that these are the right ones? (asking with all due respect)

I appreciate the help! Would I HAVE to go with PRomax now and in the future?

Will the LBS likely rip me off for the pads or no?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Like any business, a LBS could rip you off.

Ask how much replacements will be (I would expect $15-20 per end).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Should I use a q-tip moistened with alcohol to clean the calipers (inside where the pads go)? I believe there is still quite a bit of lube/oil in there?

Thanks

There's no app for this.

Here's what to do...

1) read the disc brake FAQ in the Brakes Forum, so you can understand how they work and how to fix them and

2) take a toothbrush and some alcohol and remove the remaining grease and similar as best you can, then dry the assemblies.

Jim

AZ
    banned
    Hey all,

I made a real newb mistake. My disc brakes were not stopping and then I realized I had been shooting lube into the disc brakes and all over other brake components. How do I dry the lube up so I can stop!

Thanks,

Jake

Quoting for posterity .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yah you screwed up. What you should to is try to scam Trek and your local bikeshop into giving you a new bike by lying to them and telling them you bought a bike with shitty brakes. Man you're a piece of garbage.

Disc Brake Problems

pants on head retarded
    It's generally OK to have lube on the back-side of brakes (the non-contact side)-- if you've ever done car brakes you've probably slathered the backside of the pads with brake grease. I'd still wipe up as much as you can so you don't risk it spreading onto the braking surface.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by superflychief
    Yah you screwed up. What you should to is try to scam Trek and your local bikeshop into giving you a new bike by lying to them and telling them you bought a bike with shitty brakes. Man you're a piece of garbage.

Disc Brake Problems
    Ohhhh, I see what you did there. I remember reading this post yesterday and thinking that there was something strange about it. The guy seems really upset in his email too.

Permanent Noob
    Is there a way to shoot both these threads to the Trek dealers in the area. This guy's a tool!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JCullen
    Is there a way to shoot both these threads to the Trek dealers in the area. This guy's a tool!

Yep , there are four Trek dealers in Temecula , the town he is from .

Permanent Noob
    Let's not firget the third thread where he states he's not sure if he was able to repair the front!

Disc Brake Function Question

Right there in the 1st sentence!

His others posts take on a new light now too.

"Should I pay MSRP" Should I Pay MSRP?

"Why didn't they fit me right" (after 3x shops told him an 18 was his size...) Sizing Question

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by JCullen
    Let's not firget the third thread where he states he's not sure if he was able to repair the front!

Disc Brake Function Question

Right there in the 1st sentence!

His others posts take on a new light now too.

"Should I pay MSRP" Should I Pay MSRP?

"Why didn't they fit me right" (after 3x shops told him an 18 was his size...) Sizing Question

Seem's like someone has a case of the"everybodysouttogetmees"

Be carefull!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Seem's like someone has a case of the"everybodysouttogetmees"

Be carefull!
    I think he's got buyers remorse and is trying to get out of it.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

Permanent Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    I think he's got buyers remorse and is trying to get out of it.
    After he was left to the mountainlions maybe?
    Mountain lion deaths
    Last edited by JCullen; 03-11-2010 at 07:42 PM.

How do I do that?
    Kind of reminds me of the thread on some car forum some years ago about a guy who Armor All'd his entire tire including the treads.

No need to mention the outcome of that story

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey all,

Thanks,

Jake
    don't feel bad i did this before on our 1989 nissan sentra. breaks was squealing like hell so i sprayed wd40 and viola! problem solve... until we took it to the dealer and they told us breaks was metal to metal. but really 3 thread on the same problem? did you "accidentally" sprayed lube on "both" breaks? i'm actually confused now, first you said the lbs might have suggest the the breaks had lube and now you've been shooting lube into the break parts and all??? dude which one is it? what you should have done first is read the freaking manual. manual should have said "do not lube breaks!" there's no way in hell that you "accidentally" sprayed lube on the breaks because there is nothing you lube on the side of the breaks front and rear. you want to stop, listen to all the suggestion they gave you is that to replace the shitty breaks and get the bb7.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyAZSig228
    don't feel bad i did this before on our 1989 nissan sentra. breaks was squealing like hell so i sprayed wd40 and viola! problem solve... until we took it to the dealer and they told us breaks was metal to metal. but really 3 thread on the same problem? did you "accidentally" sprayed lube on "both" breaks? i'm actually confused now, first you said the lbs might have suggest the the breaks had lube and now you've been shooting lube into the break parts and all??? dude which one is it? what you should have done first is read the freaking manual. manual should have said "do not lube breaks!" there's no way in hell that you "accidentally" sprayed lube on the breaks because there is nothing you lube on the side of the breaks front and rear. you want to stop, listen to all the suggestion they gave you is that to replace the shitty breaks and get the bb7.

Whats broken?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This happened to "my friend's bike" before.
    We happened to have an engine degreaser handy and experimented with it.
    It worked pretty well for a couple of bucks-fix. If you try this at your own risk,
    make sure you remove the rotor from the wheel so you don't accidentally
    degrease the bearings, after degreasing rinse well with pressurized water
    from a garden hose and let dry completely under the sun.

Members who have read this thread: 0