1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Big help needed, drivetrain advice.

Hey, thanks for clicking this thread!

I'm extremely new to bike components and such so please go easy on me.

Firstly, ATM I'm riding a Voodoo Bantu 26" MTB, 20" frame. I didn't get the bike intentionally and didn't even intend to start riding until I realized the beauty behind it. I received the bike as part of an insurance claim where my original 7 year old bike was stolen. Since the bike was built for so called 'rugged terrain' I decided to try and push it a bit, I've been riding for around 3 month now and I believe I have pushed the bike to its limits and I'm looking to build a DH/Freeride bike. I occasionally ride street with harsh impact such as stair sets and concrete gaps, and even park. I also ride my local trails and large dirt jumps religiously after college. I noticed alot of DJ bikes are fixed drivetrain or single gear or whatever, but I use the bike practically too and I cant afford + do not want 2 bikes.

So my question is, could anyone name a good, preferably entry level to mid range single gear front sprocket with a geared rear (I dunno whats best I just want a range of gears, could anyone name some of the drivetrains redbull rampage athletes use or such) as they are what I have in mind. That single gear front with the geared back.

Any other advice as in frames, forks, brakes and bars would be greatly appreciated along with reliable brands, my budget is around 600-800 excluding brakes as I already own hydraulic and I believe they could wait a bit as I'm only in college and getting around 80 a week part-time.

As stated any help will be valued greatly and please feel free to correct my nooby mistakes, thanks.

-Andrew

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would strongly consider picking up a complete bike. You're money will go a lot farther. There are a number of hardtails available set up the way you want.

Something along the lines of these would do well I'd think:

Big help needed, drivetrain advice.-asi-13932001-2.jpg

Big help needed, drivetrain advice.-2012_dj_mongoose_fireball_cyan.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm a bit confused as to what you need. You currently have a rear cassette/derailleur, correct? Why do you want to replace that? It looks like you have a 3 ring crankset. Why not just take the big ring off and put on a bash guard and shorten the chain? Why do you want a single ring up front? I wouldn't spend much on this bike. As the others indicated, a new bike in the price range might make more sense.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You make 80/week and you want to throw months of pay at fixing something not broken?? Spend it on girls and alcohol. Don't worry about the bike until there's actually a problem.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OP said he's looking to build a new bike that's going to fit his style a little better.

Complete would be a lot cheaper and less hassle. For example the Mongoose Fireball shown above lists new for $599.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    OP said he's looking to build a new bike that's going to fit his style a little better.
    Little being the key word here - in this case, "a little better" is the enemy of "good enough".

turtles make me hot
    Shimano Saint to answer one of the OP's questions.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I've been riding for around 3 month now and I believe I have pushed the bike to its limits
    You haven't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Little being the key word here - in this case, "a little better" is the enemy of "good enough".
    Okay, how about a lot better.
    If he's hitting large DJs and skateparks regularly, a bike designed more specifically for that than an entry level trail bike in a large size is going to make a huge difference; the right geometry will come into play a big way here. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he has found the limits of his current ride, given the type of riding it he's doing. Your standard trail bike is not a great tool for park/street/DJ riding.