1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009

Bicycling in Chicago - What Type?

Looking at buying a bicycle soon and was wondering what types I should be looking at. My riding in the past has been around town on a mountain bike, a DJ and a BMX but now that I've moved and live it the big city I'd like something where less energy is expended.

Also bicycle shops that will give me a good experience buying a new bike as I need to be measured and fitted and not just sold something that will F me up.

I've noticed people ride bicycles without gears here. What's up with that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride a lot mainly for transportation over relatively flat terrain and you find yourself mainly in one speed. Less maintenance and simpler to cut down to that. Less valuable for resale, so not as attractive to thieves. Lighter to carry up stairs.Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the link but I'm looking more for a place that has that kind of measuring equipment on hand and will help customers measure themselves.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    There are many good shops in chicago, check a few out and see which one you like for selection. Talk to the people there and hopefully you'll find a knowledgable person who can answer your questions, and asks about how and where you ride, and can fit you to the right bike. Kozy's has a few stores, 312-360-0020 (south side store).. There are also others, Village Cycle, Edgebrook, Johnny Sprockets, Rudy's, Pony Shop. If you don't mind heading out to the 'burbs, there are many more shops. Not sure how close to downtown you are.