1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Best way to get over a log/rock without bashing your chain ring?

I am trying to figure out the best way to get over a logo (laying across the trail... not very thick, but high enough to hit your chain ring) or rock without bashing in my chain ring.

I know how to do smallish bunny hops, but in most situations on tight trails where I'm not going that fast, I don't think I could hop right over. There must be another way.

Anyone have any advice?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    and here i thought the big chainring was used for getting over logs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    haha... maybe it is, I dunno? I figured if I hit it enough it would bend the crap out of it though

Motobey
    Get a bash guard like BBG and glide over the logs, I have gone over 24" with no problem. First wheelie the front tire then stand a bit a pedal over the bashguard will do the rest. Just like with the small ones.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by danimaltron
    I am trying to figure out the best way to get over a logo (laying across the trail... not very thick, but high enough to hit your chain ring) or rock without bashing in my chain ring.

I know how to do smallish bunny hops, but in most situations on tight trails where I'm not going that fast, I don't think I could hop right over. There must be another way.

Anyone have any advice?
    Getting over logs is good fun. The technique I like to use is basically to put the front wheel on the log and bunny hop from there. If done correctly it'll look like front wheel up, front wheel down while rear wheel replaces front wheel on top of the log, rear wheel down. It's hard to explain, but basically pretend this rock is a log.

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

And you're obviously going to wanna start small and build your way up to the bigger stuff. Maybe start on one of those little concrete barriers they put at the front of parking spaces or something of the sort, then apply your new skills to the trails.

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232
    Maybe start on one of those little concrete barriers they put at the front of parking spaces or something of the sort, then apply your new skills to the trails.

???

wow, that really is starting small.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron

???

wow, that really is starting small.
    ummmm... are you parking on the left shoulder of highways?

sloth

Hooked on Pictures

Yep, ThePB, those are the ones.

A little more helpful?

Action shot of No:

[SIZE="1"](not me)[/SIZE]

Skip the explanation, Action shot of Yes: ...
    [SIZE="1"]Clearly not me[/SIZE]

Ok, pretend the rock is a log.

Seriously, though, all the tips above are good. I want a bash guard. In the meantime, working on better control. Learn how to rock the bike at various speeds, on different terrains. The word "practice" makes it sound so boring!

EDIT: How do I remove an attachment?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Save Your Face; Plant a Tree

Pretty in Pink
    ummmm... are you parking on the left shoulder of highways?

Dont judge how I park... Female driver here.

I am rural we dont have concrete.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How to Jump a Log

If I could just do it, I'd be a happy camper.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 06-10-2009 at 08:22 PM.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    That video shows the technique I was trying to describe real nice like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    do what my girlfriend does and just cycle straight into them and then fall off.

seriously though don't lean forwards to much; relax your body and try pull upwards a little like you see the guys in the pics doing. but not like maggieg cause i know i'd end up on my arse if i tried that. as everyone says; start small, like how to get up curbs; then bigger curbs; then free standing stuff. then trees, then anything realy.

Nervous Descender
    Getting over logs is good fun. The technique I like to use is basically to put the front wheel on the log and bunny hop from there. If done correctly it'll look like front wheel up, front wheel down while rear wheel replaces front wheel on top of the log, rear wheel down. It's hard to explain, but basically pretend this rock is a log.

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

From Roll 112

And you're obviously going to wanna start small and build your way up to the bigger stuff. Maybe start on one of those little concrete barriers they put at the front of parking spaces or something of the sort, then apply your new skills to the trails.
    That rock looks familiar- like maybe I've rolled it before. Grafton at Mill Pond?
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks everyone! I will try some of those suggestions out. I can bunnie hop a bit, but haven't tried while going slow or pretty much stopped