Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trail Ninja
    Horst link (pivot point on chainstay, ahead of the drop outs) is an US patent, so anyone overseas can sell their Horst link bikes anywhere but in the US, without paying to license the patent. It's a good fully active system, but maybe too active for some, hence why Specialized developing brain tech. Seems rather high tech to use inertia based valving, but it just doesn't work as magically as you'd think. I hate fussing with stuff, so I avoid it.

I'm a huge fan of Trek ABP. It 1-ups the Horst link design in numerous ways, in my opinion. The way they implemented it on the Superfly 100 is great. Feels way better than all they Horst and faux bar I've tried. The way the SF100 is setup, it feels sort of like a Yeti 575 in capability, but is still very efficient for endurance riding because of the shock valving. Still bobs out of the saddle even with pro pedal on (at #3 setting). Actually feels nicer with pro pedal off, since I don't notice the springing as much (a smoother bob vs a sharp one).

I'm not a fan of some dual short links like VPP, since they have pivot point bearing maintenance issues and have weird pedal feedback. I don't like the anti-squat that some bill as extra traction, since it pushes the tire into the ground with more force when pedaling. To me, that's just energy loss and bobbing. As long as the tires are on the ground, I can shift more of my body weight onto them for more force. I'm also annoyed that people all think that similar systems ride like a DW-Link design. I can't deny that they ride well, but it just sounds like an extra annoyance to take care of the pivots.

Single pivots and unified rear triangles (URT) are getting more advanced now that bike designers are fine tuning shock rate and leverage by added linkages between the swingarm and shock. Something like the Santa Cruz Superlight is in the stone age compared to something with the extra link such as the Nickel and Butcher, Commencal Meta Supreme, Rocky Mtn Flatline, etc. URTs such as Mongoose's Teocali and GT Force and Fury are also great. It's the only suspension that offers true hardtail feel pedaling out of the saddle. With the extra links, they've come a long way since the days of Schwinn Homegrown suspension and Ibis Bow Ti.

will-lee wonka said it best. Each design has its pros and cons. It's better to have a well implemented design than to settle with a design name. You're just falling for marketing. I will admit that DW Link (and not similar looking copies) does interest me. I've yet to ride one though. Wish they had an Ibis Mojo HD in my size when I saw them at a demo event.

will-lee wonka seems to know more about suspension design and marketing than anyone else in this thread and everything I read from him, I find I'm in agreement with.

I will say as a final word that I'm still going to be suspicious of any design that looks like another and will need to confirm with actual riding. I'm not going to go by most reviews either, since it seems some reviewers just spew out jargon and reiterate things that the manufacturers say about there features. Most of the review explains dumb jargon and names of features just as overdrive BB than actual comparison testing. They're just looking to use fancy lines such as, power transfer from pedals to wheels is explosively instant granting you the feeling that you magically gained Lance Armstrong's legs. Most of the hype about the Superfly 100, I found was was major hype after I put it through some major hours. It's still a great bike, its just not that significantly better than other bikes in its league in all aspects. Maybe some, like its ability to go fast on descents and roughs and corners, but it doesn't pedal as dreamy as they'd like you to believe. Nor is it as agile as a 26" bike... maybe they mean it rides like a 26er with similar geo in a general sense just with 29er wheels.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    Single pivots and unified rear triangles (URT) are getting more advanced now that bike designers are fine tuning shock rate and leverage by added linkages between the swingarm and shock. Something like the Santa Cruz Superlight is in the stone age compared to something with the extra link such as the Nickel and Butcher, Commencal Meta Supreme, Rocky Mtn Flatline, etc. URTs such as Mongoose's Teocali and GT Force and Fury are also great. It's the only suspension that offers true hardtail feel pedaling out of the saddle. With the extra links, they've come a long way since the days of Schwinn Homegrown suspension and Ibis Bow Ti.
    I agree GT is a great climber.

Our riding trends and habit has changed over the year, I guess. URT get a lot of bad rep because how it ride firm. Don't forget homegrown wanted URT that pedal like hardtail, so it' linkage is design to yield that kind of ride, it's not the URT it's how the maker wanted to bike to ride. Plus the trend then is short travel in the front and long travel rear for example Klein Mantra 80mm front/150mm rear, similar to Ibis Szabo geo as well. It makes for good comfortable climbing but a bit sketchy descend. I'm building my Szabo up SS and planing to use 140mm fork. URT can be design to behave just like the current trend bike, check out the Castellano Zorro.

If you want a bike that climb well better than hardtail check out Maverick Monolink, 3-pivot design is awesome, my favorite bike is the ML8 with Hammerschmidt 6.5" travel 30lbs that can climb like an XC bike, it climb better than a 26lbs hardtail.

Another favorite would be the Gary Fisher roscoe, GF put a lot of techs in one basket and it shows. If you can find one on sale I'd grab it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dciandrew
    Thanks for the review will-lee. I'll be giving this bike a very hard look, its well within my budget and no CA tax (they get enough of my money).
    They also have a model for 1,800.00 that's spec'd well enough to be an excellent contender. Don't sweat the 2X10 gearing. It brings nothing to the table when compared to 3X9. Well,It actually brings LESS to the table. And it's very easy to change a 3X9 or 10 to a 2X9 or 10. Don't be fooled by false advertising.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    They also have a model for 1,800.00 that's spec'd well enough to be an excellent contender. Don't sweat the 2X10 gearing. It brings nothing to the table when compared to 3X9. Well,It actually brings LESS to the table. And it's very easy to change a 3X9 or 10 to a 2X9 or 10. Don't be fooled by false advertising.
    How do you convert a 3x drivetrain to a 2x drivetrain?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm asking because I wanna know..for real.

If you simply remove the big chainring and put in a bashguard and adjust the limit screw of your front derrailleur, that doesn't solve the chainline issue (i.e.-you will be crosschaining from your little chainring up front to your little one in the back).

Also, how do you get the relative gearing ratios? What sizes chainrings would you need to change to up front? or conversly, what cassette range would you have to change in the back?

Is there a site that details how to go about this?

I know several of my friends want to try it out and none of us have been able to find any detail information about how to go about itso that it truly does mimic the 2x drivetrains.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka
    How do you convert a 3x drivetrain to a 2x drivetrain?

Just remove the big ring. If you elect not to use a bash guard,you will need shorter chainring bolts.

The amount of cross chaining you get doesn't change by removing the big ring. The amount of cross chaining you get with a 2 X10 system may be a little less but it's nothing to be concerned about. Just stay out of the gears that cause severe chain angles.

If you want eliminate all possibility of cross chaining, the only way to do it is by going SS. For minimal cross chaining, use 1X9. More chainrings = more crosschaining - unless you learn how to shift.

Personally, I've been riding little ring front - little cog rear for many years with no ill effects. I ride 3-4 times per week @ around 6 to 10 miles each ride in very technical terrain. It takes a little over 2 hours to do 10 miles. Probably 90% of the time I'm in my 24T granny ring. I also replace the chain,cassette and granny ring every season to reduce the possibility of shifting problems. Of course there's always that pesky little rock that whacks my derailleur and bends the hanger a few times per year.

Tossin the salad.
    Giant Trance x3. For $3k, I love this bike!! I rode a stumpjumper elite and it was decent, but I think it will be hard to beat the Trance at this price point. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You can get a trek remedy 8 for under 3k if you ask the shop to price match. There is a bike shop in FL who is selling them under 3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So today was the day just ordered my Fezzari Casscade Peak . Upgraded to the Talas up front. So it won't be that much longer and I'll be able to get rid of that wanabe status.

Trail Ninja
    There are closeout deals going on on 2010 models. I met someone on the trail that said they got their Giant Reign X1 for only $2500. 2009 models are even cheaper, at least looking at them online (they have the heavier stabbed downtube design though).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There are closeout deals going on on 2010 models. I met someone on the trail that said they got their Giant Reign X1 for only $2500. 2009 models are even cheaper, at least looking at them online (they have the heavier stabbed downtube design though).
    I so wanted to have Sram 2x10 and Fezzari was so much of a better deal than anyone else. My LBS had Felts that they could build with the X7 group that would have cost as same as the Fezzari and they couldn't touch it with the Santa Cruz line. Being my first MTB I wanted to have great componets from the start and didn't want to worry about upgrades later. By not having done but one true MTB ride I'm pretty sure that what ever flaws this frame "may" have that I don't have enough experiance to know the difference.

Is it Friday yet?
    Congrats!
    Post some pics of it dirty. Every fezzari post just shows the standard website pics.

mtbr member

Mongoose Teocali Super

2009 Mongoose Teocali Super $1,899.99

http://www.downcycles.com/store/2009...er-p-1024.html

2011 Mongoose Teocali Super $2,963.99

http://www.mybiketinley.com/2011-Mon...e_p_15879.html

I have the 2009 model, great bike for the price.
    Last edited by Cobra8d; 04-02-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I prefer the looks of the 2009 model, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow. Really? $3,000.00? So called noob. Fezzari. FEZZARI?!?!?!?! ROFL! Let me welcome you (as an ACTUAL noob) to the noob forum by saying GTFO of the "noob" forum! There is so much BS in this thread it's sad, and all of you so called "experts" fell for it hook, line, and sinker. First of all, the very fact that anyone named a bike a "Fezzari" and any of you bought it is just hilarious. I mean really, it's F'in HILarious! It's a MTB, not an expensive, beautiful Italian exotic guaranteed to get you laid like that car with the really similar name. Fezzari?! Hahahahaha. This is TOO much!

Even better? Someone titling a thread "Best value FS bike under $3,000". HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! NO "noob" should ever spend $3,000.00 on ANY bike. EVER! Even an awesome sounding FEZZARI! Fezzari. It's Italian for "Motobecane, only $600.00 more, and Italian sounding."

So just to reiterate. If you've ridden 2,000 miles on a bike? GTFO out the noob forum! You sir, are NOT a noob. $3,000 on a bike? Once again, NOT a noob! Regardless, for the love of all that's good, do NOT buy anything named a "Fezzari." I'm serious with this. There are bike builders like Yeti and Moots who are building beautiful, strong, American made works of art MTB's and not sounding like poseurs while doing it. As a noob even I know this. Seriously. Why does this forum even have a "beginner's" forum if mutual masturbation threads like these are allowed?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip
    Wow. Really? $3,000.00? So called noob. Fezzari. FEZZARI?!?!?!?! ROFL! Let me welcome you (as an ACTUAL noob) to the noob forum by saying GTFO of the "noob" forum! There is so much BS in this thread it's sad, and all of you so called "experts" fell for it hook, line, and sinker. First of all, the very fact that anyone named a bike a "Fezzari" and any of you bought it is just hilarious. I mean really, it's F'in HILarious! It's a MTB, not an expensive, beautiful Italian exotic guaranteed to get you laid like that car with the really similar name. Fezzari?! Hahahahaha. This is TOO much!

Even better? Someone titling a thread "Best value FS bike under $3,000". HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! NO "noob" should ever spend $3,000.00 on ANY bike. EVER! Even an awesome sounding FEZZARI! Fezzari. It's Italian for "Motobecane, only $600.00 more, and Italian sounding."

So just to reiterate. If you've ridden 2,000 miles on a bike? GTFO out the noob forum! You sir, are NOT a noob. $3,000 on a bike? Once again, NOT a noob! Regardless, for the love of all that's good, do NOT buy anything named a "Fezzari." I'm serious with this. There are bike builders like Yeti and Moots who are building beautiful, strong, American made works of art MTB's and not sounding like poseurs while doing it. As a noob even I know this. Seriously. Why does this forum even have a "beginner's" forum if mutual masturbation threads like these are allowed?

What about Eriksen will you be rotfl too because it's sounded like Sony ericsson

I still fail to relate the noob-ness with spending $3000 on a bike it's about a mid way price of top of the line and entry level FS. Not all noobs spend $500 on the first bike, I didn't. I didn't see the point of buying a cheap ht so I can "learn" how to choose smoother line. I could afford it and I want something that's more comfortable and yield better margin of error. It's not a requirement that noobs must start with a certain budget and platform. My wife first bike is a custom steel HT from Soulcraft, she's a noob she couldn't have nice bike.

My friend's wife first bike is a $2500 FS she took over from him after 6 months so he can get his new shinny 29er FS bike and he's a noob. He's also a successful architect who can afford it, he should have started a thread about buying his first entry level ht to fit in Just because someone is a beginner does not mean they have to get cheap or used stuff if they don't want to.

I don't know what Fezzari is from but I assume it's the some guy's name like Kuat the combination of the company's 2 founder. You sure are a noob.

Trail Ninja
    Stereotype much, kbohip?

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Meh... Some people have $500 to spend on a bike, some have $3K. If you're new to something you're a noob regardless of bankroll.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    dciandrew, you say you learned your lesson after outgrowing your $700 road bike after a year, but I think you may have missed the point completely. It only cost you $700 to get you pointed to the bike you were ultimately destined for. This time it's probably going to cost you $2,500 instead.

I say this because I saw several contradictions in what you said you were looking for and what you ended up with.

You might end up loving it, but odds are greater that you will end up preferring something else and will have paid more to haul far more bike (a glorified single pivot all-mountain bike with 150mm travel) than needed up the hill in the process. It's your money and you can spend it any way you wish, but this is a text book example of why it IS a good idea to start with modest hardtail, ride the piss out of it while learning to ride and learning what type of bike truly suits you while saving up for 'that bike'.

This is like golfing one time, and then buying a $1,000 set of clubs. It might make a nice impression on some folks at the first tee (trailhead), but odds are pretty good that they won't be the right clubs (bike) for your game.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    dciandrew, you say you learned your lesson after outgrowing your $700 road bike after a year, but I think you may have missed the point completely. It only cost you $700 to get you pointed to the bike you were ultimately destined for.

best advice yet. i had to buy my first ride and figure out what i didnt like about it before i really understood what i wanted. some find it is a multiple bike process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow! Where to begin where to begin?

I sure hope those of you with so much hate work out what ever it is.

I sure hope that you guys with all that condescension and hate aren't in my local club of trail riders and beer drinkers just out to have fun.

Do I even pretend to know as much as you, heck no. But I am a fanboy of Sram and looking for a good deal. I'm not a fan of used if I can afford new. I didn't start this thread to validate myself or anyone else here, just to learn.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread with intelligent and informative information especially whoever it was that mentioned the Fezzari name.

On a side note I have this mental thing about Mongoose. My first bike as an adult before I started road riding back in 2005 was a Mongoose FS that I got at Costco. I know its not the same bike or anywhere close to the quality of the true MTB's they make, but I can't erase out of my mind what a afwul bike it was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip

It's painful to think how so many people have offered up their time and advice to you kbohip to help you look for a bike recently. I can't even comprehend why you'd respond to someone in such a manner.

1. Fezzari is a trail system in Utah (Lindon) where the company is located. There is an actual shop with real employees trying to provide a product that people will enjoy. Hence, they named their company for the trails where they live.

2. A noob can spend a bagillion dollars on a bike if they want...who are you or anyone else to say what is an appropriate amount? This is just a ridiculous notion that a noob should only spend x dollars on a bike.

3. 2,000 miles does not equate to advanced rider. Those 2,000 miles could have been spent on pathways or on the road...which in no way relate to mountain biking.

And btw, the car company Ferrari DOES make bikes, and they are made by Campognolo. Way to know your bikes.

Oh, and crongatulations on your Motobecane HT700, kbohip. I hope you log many miles on that bike. Apparently it's already bestowed you with experience and knowledge beyond us mere mortals.

Be safe.

Is it Friday yet?
    Are you sure there is a Fezzari trail system? I cant find reference to it anywhere. Doesn't mean it's not true, I just cant find a link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides
    Are you sure there is a Fezzari trail system? I cant find reference to it anywhere. Doesn't mean it's not true, I just cant find a link.
    That's what I recall when I called, but it wasn't the most important thing in my mind and I could have misunderstood.

Maybe I'll call this week and let everyone know.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    This thread took an interesting turn. Where's the popcorn?

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    This bike is going to be a real change of pace for you, from your 'cross bike.

I wonder if riding a bike that said "Scattante" on it would make me a poser... What about one that says "LeMond?"

Anyway, have fun. Post some pics when you get it dirty.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    This bike is going to be a real change of pace for you, from your 'cross bike.

I wonder if riding a bike that said "Scattante" on it would make me a poser... What about one that says "LeMond?"

Anyway, have fun. Post some pics when you get it dirty.
    While I am not a fan of viral marketing, I have grown to recognize that people can make their own, hopefully, educated decisions and I hope they end up with a bike they ride and love.

Having said that, Scattante is the worst marketing decision I know. It makes Fezzari sound positively normal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka
    ...There are basically 2 factories that churn out bikes. One in China (Giant) and one in Taiwan from a company called Merida. Merida produces Specialized and many many other brands...I think the Giant factory is where Trek and several other brands are produced...
    My Giant Trance X came with a 'FABRIQUE A TAIWAN' sticker.

Big Boy
    Also not interested in building a bike, want to work with the local bike shops.

What happened to this? When I am getting a new one this is the first thing I look at. What do my lbs's sell and which one has the best customer service (friendliness, knowledge, ethics). Then when I find a good shop, I buy a bike from them. To me, at a 3000 pricepoint nearly every brand of bikes has a good offering. There are subtle differences but its about the fun factor right? And I have fun BSing with the guys in the lbs and going on group rides with 'em so I give them my business.

To the OP : the Fezzarri's are some good looking bikes and are one heck of a bargain. Congrats on the purchase, and have fun riding it.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Master of Disaster
    Scattante is the worst marketing decision I know.
    Agreed - sounds like an insult in Italian. Why does Performance need FOUR house brands - Performance, Scattante, Forté and Access ? The third one seems lame too. I kinda like "Access" though - sounds okay and it convey's a positive message about making biking affordable. Well, at least it did until this year's monumentally over-priced Prowler and Stealth models.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

I didn't realize Access was a house brand. I'd assumed it was something they got on closeout.

Anyway, someone has to employee English majors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    What happened to this? When I am getting a new one this is the first thing I look at. What do my lbs's sell and which one has the best customer service (friendliness, knowledge, ethics). Then when I find a good shop, I buy a bike from them. To me, at a 3000 pricepoint nearly every brand of bikes has a good offering. There are subtle differences but its about the fun factor right? And I have fun BSing with the guys in the lbs and going on group rides with 'em so I give them my business.

To the OP : the Fezzarri's are some good looking bikes and are one heck of a bargain. Congrats on the purchase, and have fun riding it.
    I tried to work with the LBS, but they couldn't come close to the specs of this bike. The best they could do was the Felt with X7 and it would have cost more. I tried to find reviews of Felt and I couldn't find hardly anything.

FWIW $2600.00 is what I ended up paying which for the wife factor was much better than $3000.00

Big Boy
    I tried to work with the LBS, but they couldn't come close to the specs of this bike. The best they could do was the Felt with X7 and it would have cost more. I tried to find reviews of Felt and I couldn't find hardly anything.

FWIW $2600.00 is what I ended up paying which for the wife factor was much better than $3000.00

The wife factor is probably my biggest influence. I am currently trying to convince her that a 575 is more important than a new bedroom set.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    The wife factor is probably my biggest influence. I am currently trying to convince her that a 575 is more important than a new bedroom set.
    A good wife would have responded with...."You had me at 'Yeti'" ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

HA!! I was mistaken.

The mountain bikes are named after mountain peaks surrounded by trail systems they liked (for ex. Nebo is in Arkansas), but the name Fezzari was a family name of one of the frame designers.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle...;-)

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Agreed - sounds like an insult in Italian. Why does Performance need FOUR house brands - Performance, Scattante, Forté and Access ? The third one seems lame too. I kinda like "Access" though - sounds okay and it convey's a positive message about making biking affordable. Well, at least it did until this year's monumentally over-priced Prowler and Stealth models.

I think it was because Performance bought Supergo and took over their house brands in the process I think they are Scattante, and wayless.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I think it was because Performance bought Supergo and took over their house brands in the process I think they are Scattante, and wayless.
    They also bought/merged with Nashbar.

Is it Friday yet?
    They also bought/merged with Nashbar.
    And yet still have totally different prices!

Trail Ninja
    And yet still have totally different prices!
    Yea. Pays to shop smart, but the fact that Nashbar and Performance are owned by the same entity, is just trivia. Dunno why I blurted that out when it only adds more complexity to it showing how "Performance" sells even more house brands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Second Brain failure on 4 month old Stumpy FSR

It looks like the bike I was first looking at has been somewhat problematic with the brain shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka View Post
    A good wife would have responded with...."You had me at 'Yeti'" ;-)
    hahahaha laughin my ass out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    im tryin to make my first new bike buy

i cannot decide what is the best do it all option, i can afford up to 2700

should i buy a stumjumper fsr
    camber carbon comp

Norco sight killer B

santacruz tallboy/ bronson.. (how much is one of those)

salsa horsethief 2

FS bikes don't all behave the same when one actually rides them. Demo, demo, demo. Do you have a mountain bike now? What kind of riding do you like to do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andradeD View Post
    hahahaha laughin my ass out!
    Thanks for opening this up again. It's been so long ago I forgot I even started this thread. I even had to go back and reread everything. Do you ever go back and read a post and say did I write that?

As far as my Fezzari goes I'm still riding it and loving it. However just after owing it a year I took it to the LBS to service the fork and shock and the rear shock needed to be replaced. Since I replaced the rear with the new Fox CTD version I also updated the fork with the CTD. I will say I like the CTD version much more than the RP2 that was replace.

With the CTD put in climb mode it really locks out the suspension to almost no peddle bob at all for climbing the hills. The same goes for the fork.

FWIW this road rider now rides off rode more than on road, all thanks to starting with a little CX racing. I found out what all of you already knew, while there is nothing wrong with road riding it just doesn't have the fun factor of the dirt and when you finish a road ride you drink chocolate milk and when you finish a dirt ride you drink beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    still no pictures of the bike??

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    still no pictures of the bike??
    See these threads:

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike
    Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike Part 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    FS bikes don't all behave the same when one actually rides them. Demo, demo, demo. Do you have a mountain bike now? What kind of riding do you like to do?
    Best advice anyone can get. Rep given.

BTW, I put together a little chart based on value for the 2013 models from most of the big vendors. Takes into consideration the warranty, the price, the components and the weight of the bike.

Best Full suspension mountain bike

Any thoughts?
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12