mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Best used hardtail?

I am 5'11" 160lbs and wanting a Hardtail...I am wanting to purchased used but not abused.

Which bike should I be keeping an eye out for?

I use to have a Giant Boulder SE and really liked it. I would like something similar to that bike. I currently have a rigid trek 800 and it makes me happy as well...except it is a rough ride.

I am looking at an older gary fisher Big sur, but it would need alittle work. he is asking in the 150 range.

My budget right now is around 250...but could go up alittle if I could find the right bike.

Tommy
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er. SS and Rigid.
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ok,

what am I missing? lots of view and no opinions? Not even a your budget is too low...lol

What about a Raleigh m60?

Tommy
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

Old man on a bike
    It's a huge question, just gotta do some research on your own for the most part....there's a lot of choices out there. You might get some to post their favorite brand/model....

ps There's a whole forum about bike/frame discussion, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCXJWAGONEER
    ok,

what am I missing? lots of view and no opinions? Not even a your budget is too low...lol

What about a Raleigh m60?

Tommy
    You asked for it... $250 or $2,500?

You MIGHT get a frame for 250.
    Not sure what you're after (XC racer, Single Speed... etc.).

Having ridden a Ti hard tail I wouldn't get anything else - smooth, stiff, light, durable, (expensive). Having said that, I've never ridden carbon. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand carbon mtb.

Kona has some really nice hardtail race geometry. Be wary of older Ali frames that may be near the end of their life cycle. All frame sets will loose some of their stiffness over time but Ali will go faster and light frames will crack more easily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fair enough on the info.

I am going to look at a 2002 Jamis Eureka that has a few upgrades today for 275.00 I am looking for something I can ride and upgrade as I go. Thanks for the input. I think going 2500 maybe in a year or two when my skill may be more warranting of a bike that nice.

Tommy
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

mtbr member
    pictures would help along with specs of components that are on each bike youre considering

mtbr member
    Look for a bike that fits you right. I always poo-pooed it in the past. But after changing a couple pieces on my bike and seeing how it impacts my fit and my ability to climb or turn, I'm a firm believer.

A good fork is also very significant if you plan on riding some technical single track.

I have a different mind set. If you're into racing, then I can see that you need some top shelf stuff to compete with the elite. But if your just out there to have some fun, an entry-level FS bike seems to help newer riders get out there and ride.

The HT actually requires more skill.

mtbr member
    i feel like riding on a hardtail for 2 years when I started really helped me become a better overall rider. it forces you to do things the right way because if you dont, you end up over the bars. i would reccomend a HT first, also just to make sure you like the sport before youinvest alot of money into a FS.

my .02 cents

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ^^^^

Agree with this. I'd look for something like a stumpjumper, they should not be too much, and will have decent components.

I started off riding casually on a hardtail that I pieced together, and I will tell you now, a good fork, brakes, and derailers make a WORLD of difference, and you might be able to find an older bike with all of that on the cheap if you keep your eyes open.

Members who have read this thread: 0