1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Best rims for the money

Im looking to buy a set of rims because im getting a new frame (which will be all black) My silver rims now will look pretty weird imo. I have seen a few rims under the 30 dollar range but i dont know if they will perform as well. My question is what kind of rims can i get that are under $30 that are still somewhat lightweight and sturdy? Also, how easy are rims to put on? I ride 26 wheels and would like to have 2.2-2.4 tires. Also they MUST be black. Thats the priority.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It'll be cheaper for you to buy entire wheels than buy rims and pay to have them laced onto your hubs (probably ~$50 labor per wheel for a build, assuming that you can re-use everything else, which may or may not be the case).

IMHO, spending a chunk of $$ to replace perfectly good parts just to color match accessories is plain silly. It's mountain biking, not a fashion show fer gawd's sake.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    It'll be cheaper for you to buy entire wheels than buy rims and pay to have them laced onto your hubs (probably ~$50 labor per wheel for a build, assuming that you can re-use everything else, which may or may not be the case).

IMHO, spending a chunk of $$ to replace perfectly good parts just to color match accessories is plain silly. It's mountain biking, not a fashion show fer gawd's sake.
    I understand it's a little silly but for me, the way the bike looks is half the deal. Why couldn't I put the rim on myself? If I couldn't then I have a friend who most likely could.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Best rims for the money

The funkier the better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Could putting electrical tape or duct tape on the outside of the rims work? My rims right now have black in the middle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That would work.
    Or...
    You can take the tire off. Tape the center off with the proper paper tape. Get the spoke/nipple area too. Scuff the silver area, after removing any decals. Use 600 grit or a 3M red scuff pad. Dust with sealer/primer. Two light coats to cover with black with some hardener added if you don't want to clear it.
    Done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Plastidip in black. Peels right off if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Plastidip in black. Peels right off if you don't like it.
    good suggestion. I never would have thought iof using plastidip. I dont think I want to paint or plastidip my rims though. I would like to ave something more permanent. I have sun rhyno lited right now, what if i were to get another pair of those but ones with black all over. I really do not want to spend more then 75 bucks.

turtles make me hot
    You're not going to get anything decent that cheap and then re lace it. The Rhyno Lites are half decent and they cost more than 25 bucks each.
    When I build wheels for friends and they don't want to spend 90 bucks on a Stan's rim, I go to Sun Ringle Infernos. Pretty good rim, but 49 bucks each. Then, like Slapheadmofo said, 50 bucks to relace em. I'd live with the silver ones til you can do what you want.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    You're not going to get anything decent that cheap and then re lace it. The Rhyno Lites are half decent and they cost more than 25 bucks each.
    When I build wheels for friends and they don't want to spend 90 bucks on a Stan's rim, I go to Sun Ringle Infernos. Pretty good rim, but 49 bucks each. Then, like Slapheadmofo said, 50 bucks to relace em. I'd live with the silver ones til you can do what you want.
    Why would it cost $50 to relace them? Is it not possible to do them at home?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you are using the same erd rim it is possible to do it yourself.
    Line up the valve holes and tape the rims together.
    This makes it easy to transfer the spokes. Use new nipples and replace any spokes with damage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wheelbuilding is a bit of an arcane art form. the previous post wildly oversimplifies it IME. I've been wrenching bikes for 20+ years, and it's still the only thing I pay someone else to do. I'm a big proponent of learning how to work on your own bikeand all, but building wheels is not likely something you're going to want to tangle with. Do a little research on what goes into it and you can decide for yourself, but I'd just ride until your current seet is beat, then buy a set of black ones.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

R.I.P. DogFriend

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I build my own wheels, it's not difficult.
    The part I left out was tensioning. Using the same rim and transferring is an excellent opportunity to overcome that feeling of the unknown.
    Do it and look where you will be. Ahead of many.
    Borrow a Park TM-1 Tensioning gauge for tensioning and truing in stages.
    I agree with just using my suggestions as a research beginning point. But do not be put off.
    Necessity is the motivation for many learning opportunities.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by hc720 View Post
    Why would it cost $50 to relace them? Is it not possible to do them at home?
    You absolutely can. I must have missed that part.
    I like turtles

My little friends
    To the OP, you do know that the terms, "rims" and "wheels", are not interchangable when talking about bikes, right?