1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Best Place Online to Get Shorts/Shirts?...

I would like to purchase a couple of pairs of reasonably priced baggy/cargo type shorts and some technical tees (not jerseys) online. I've looked at most of the big sites but wasn't overly impressed. Anyone got any good sites to pick up some stuff? I'd like to spend no more than $125 on a couple of pairs of shorts and a couple of tees.

Thanks!

w

mtbr member
    i'm extremely irritated at buying shorts online; bought 2 pairs, one from here and the other from there and neither were good fits or good riding shorts. price point cargo unlined "casual" shorts, cut like cholo pants, tight at the waist. fox huck shorts, tight at the waist, too heavy material, pocket corners dig into the thighs. both "medium", yeah right, maybe medium for bean poles.

i do like the performance brand padded liner, most comfortable liner i've worn (vs pearl izumi, built in no names and price point cheapies). and they actually fit as per advertised sizing; medium.

favorite shorts are sears $20 cargos, a little heavy cotton, but fit well, cut right, cheap. and pearl izumi attack shorts, good material, good cut, but a little loose at the waist, ineffective elastic, not enough pockets. again, size medium.

the soich continues...

pronounced may-duh
    performance, price point and nashbar have house brands that are low priced. You get what you pay for. For technical wicking tees at a low price try walmart. I'd spend some money on a good pair of cycling shorts with chamois padding. They may run like 90.00 for a pair of pearl izumi lycra shorts but the comfort is first rate and they should last for many many years. If you ride often this is a good investment.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    i'm extremely irritated at buying shorts online; bought 2 pairs, one from here and the other from there and neither were good fits or good riding shorts. price point cargo unlined "casual" shorts, cut like cholo pants, tight at the waist. fox huck shorts, tight at the waist, too heavy material, pocket corners dig into the thighs. both "medium", yeah right, maybe medium for bean poles.

i do like the performance brand padded liner, most comfortable liner i've worn (vs pearl izumi, built in no names and price point cheapies). and they actually fit as per advertised sizing; medium.

favorite shorts are sears $20 cargos, a little heavy cotton, but fit well, cut right, cheap. and pearl izumi attack shorts, good material, good cut, but a little loose at the waist, ineffective elastic, not enough pockets. again, size medium.

the soich continues...
    Go to your LBS and try before you buy. Or order from an online place that has a very nice return policy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    I would like to purchase a couple of pairs of reasonably priced baggy/cargo type shorts and some technical tees (not jerseys) online. I've looked at most of the big sites but wasn't overly impressed. Anyone got any good sites to pick up some stuff? I'd like to spend no more than $125 on a couple of pairs of shorts and a couple of tees.

Thanks!

w
    i just ordered 1 jersey and shorts for about 44USD from funnyinsect.com on tuesday. maybe you would like to check them out.

Cookin' in AZ

Hoss Ponderosa

Hoss makes good quality, low cost MTB clothing.

http://www.hossmtb.com/index.php?zen...13af437a843f61
    This space intentionally left blank

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Berge

Yup, I will only buy Hoss clothing from now on. For the money I spent on one Fox jersey that doesn't fit, I can buy two from Hoss and they fit extremely well. You can get their jersey for $25 and their shorts for $38. There is no better deal, no better quality, no better fit. Fox is absolute crap. Pearl Izumi is over-priced, same with Descent. Why would I pay $80 for a single jersey, when it is made out of the same material (and better colors for that matter) by Hoss?

too tired to be clever
    Jan 2005

affordable clothing

Affordable is my formal middle name - my friends call me cheap.

I have numerous poly wicking tees from Campmor.com. The short sleevers were about $6.00 each, and I probably sprung $8 for the long sleevers. I have looked at Wallyworld but found nothing comparable, not to say a better shopper couldn't.

My favorite baggies were 'blems' from PricePoint, which must have set me back about $16.
    I have a nice pair from Campmor that were $25.

I was broke and unemployed when I started riding, so it was cheap, or not at all. The cheap habit stayed with me.

Hi!!!
    www.REI-Outlet.com

Jerseys:
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/2...SHP_CYCLING_SA

Shorts:
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/2...SHP_CYCLING_SA

And we (I work parttime for REI) have an excellent return policy. If you order anything online and it just doesn't work for you, either send it back or just return it to the nearest store for your $ back, store credit, or replacement.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Silicon Slick Oblad G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berge

I got these Hoss Shorts at JensonUSA and have liked them alot.

iroar
    I bought 3 pairs of baggy cargo shorts at Ross all for under $30. Full price they would have been $30 each. Try Ross or another discount store if you don't have a Ross in your area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Yup, I will only buy Hoss clothing from now on. For the money I spent on one Fox jersey that doesn't fit, I can buy two from Hoss and they fit extremely well. You can get their jersey for $25 and their shorts for $38. There is no better deal, no better quality, no better fit. Fox is absolute crap. Pearl Izumi is over-priced, same with Descent. Why would I pay $80 for a single jersey, when it is made out of the same material (and better colors for that matter) by Hoss?
    I'm curious, how did you get the Hoss shorts for $38? On their website they are available for about $50.

It's my STUFF
    [SIZE="5"]"En grisrumpa är fläsk, rök den och det blir skinka."[/SIZE]