1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

best mountain bike magazine?

Hello All,
    So, I'm kind of old school and I still love reading print media. I am wondering if anyone has a mountain bike magazine recommendation for me. I like stories about riding, tips and anything else that inspires me to go ride my bike . I don't particularly like a magazine full of reviews of $5000 dollar bikes that make me feel like mine is inadequate for a good riding experience.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I like BIKE magazine. Got every one since they started, 20 years ago now. It's the only one I read consistently. Good writing and photography, and they seem to try to concentrate more on the ride than the gear (though there's still a fair amount of reviews and tech stuff).

The 20th anniversery edition just came out . It's got some pretty cool retrospective stuff in there; worth grabbing.

EMBA Member
    I can second the BIKE recommendation. It has interesting articles sometimes. I also like and subscribe to Dirt Rag. I don't think it is possible to get a mountain bike magazine these days that does not review top of the line bikes though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    I don't think it is possible to get a mountain bike magazine these days that does not review top of the line bikes though.
    I get that, and I don't mind some of it (I do like to dream). Thanks for the ideas guys. I will check those out

mtbr member
    I also read articles here on mtbr, pinkbike, bikerumor and other sites.

There is something intrinsically better about having the magazine in your hands though.

mtbr member
    I keep a Mountain Bike Action around for those late night number twos where my brain isn't fully functioning. It's just for the look at the cool gear and pretty picture effect when I'm not fully coherent and don't want to use my iPhone. I find the data in the mags seems a bit dated even as they are released to the news stand with the speed stuff is put out on the Internet, so the mag I keep around may be a few months old too. If I am coherent then my phone is my info/news source.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Freehub is a quarterly out of the great biking city of Bellingham, WA that leans more towards the am/fr/dh'ish side of things. Awesome photography and articles about epic trail locations. It'll get you inspired to ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Dirt Rag is my favorite by far!

mtbr member
    I like Mountain Bike Action as well. Partly because its the only one I can grab off a newstand around here. The only thing that I don't like about MBA that every test ride is usually on a bike that is $3000-5000 dollars. I've never seen them test ride a bike thats under $1000. That kind of eliminates a lot of people who like to read the reviews on a bike to help them decide on one. For once, I'd like to see them ride a $600 bike

Yes, that's fonetic
    Yes Bike, yes Dirt Rag, no on MBA (unless you want to see a "how to bunny hop" article about every 3 months).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Bike mag FTW. I've read many others intermittently, but none come close to the great articles and phenomenal photography in Bike.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    BIKE mag or Dirt Rag for sure! BIKE has articles beyond the basic interview or bike review (they also have a yearly MEGA review called the Bible of Bike Tests), and their photo sections are things worth cutting out and hanging on the wall!

Dirt Rag is the most "mountain biker-y" magazine, if that makes any sense. Not the most professional, not the glossiest, most commercial thing, but damn they do a good job, their articles are well-written, and usually got a good dose of humor in there to boot!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup - BIKE is my fave, but Dirt Rag is also good. I like to grab an occasional copy of Dirt or Decline from the newsstand also.

Everyone I know refers to MTB Action as MTB Fiction. There's been nothing printed in that magazine over the past 20+ years that comes close to relating to mountain biking as I know it. It's like the US magazine of biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: best mountain bike magazine?

MTB Action gets boring very quickly. I was looking for an alternative myself, so just signed up for BIKE, so hopefully that is better...
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Rub it............
    Dirt Rag and BIKE mags.

MTB Action is only good for office reading. That way, when your done reading, you can wipe your butt with the pages.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Dirt Rag

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My two scheckles on mountain bike magazines:

For all those lamenting that some magazines only seem to test really expensive bikes, consider that this is what the bike companies send them. The magazines rarely get to choose which level model they get. And, the bike companies would generally prefer to send one of their top, or close to top tier models. I don't blame either one. The bike testers take what they are given to test, and if you were a company having a bike you produced reviewed by a major (in the MTB world) media outlet, you don't want them wondering if the performance would have been better had they been testing a model with better components. They would rather you imagine the reverse, and figure that if the model that is raved about had lesser components that it would still be pretty good.

I don't know what some people imagine goes on at a publisher of mountain bike magazines, but it's not like they have some enormous 'test facility' with dozens of scientists milling about in white lab coats operating all sorts of high tech test apparatus'. They are riders just like many of us, with their own personal riding styles, biases, likes and dislikes. For hard core enthusiasts that scour the internet for the latest and greatest, you're probably going to know the scoop long before a print magazine is going to have it coming off the presses and ready for consumption. It's just the nature of the business. If you're looking for pinpoint 'nth degree' scientific analysis, and up to the minute 'news', you might be expecting too much from a mountain bike magazine.

There's simply not that much money to be made from it and they don't have the resources of more mainstream publications with truly major advertisers. Trek may be huge in the bike biz, but they're not General Motors or Microsoft.

Cheers.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Dirt Rag
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just saw Mountain Flyer recently... pretty good, check it out. I like BIKE also.

mtbr member
    I get Bike, Dirt Rag, Mountain Bike Action & Switchback. Hey, I like mountain biking and any one of them beats Rolling Stone or Sports Illustrated. I just started getting Switchback & so far I'm digging it.

Redcoat

best mountain bike magazine?

I recently bought a copy of what mountain bike magazine. I found it ridiculous that the bikes they reviewed were not for the average joe. It took the piss really. I understand that the companies send their best as mentioned above, but I'd much rather read a mag with stuff in the majority's price range. It did have a high drool factor though.

Apologies for quality but check out these bikes they reviewed and their prices.

7984 uk pounds works out around 12,000 us dollars by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ
    banned
    Reviews of cheap bikes don't pay the bills, the overwhelming majority of readers want to see the latest and greatest. Try Dirt Rag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    freehub

personal stories, artistic/poetic visuals and composition, not hampered by reviews and ads

a real winner

Magically Delicious
    Switchback - Way cool - great articles with diverse subjects. Unfortunately, it's not one of the cheaper ones.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool!! Good collections of magazines for bike riders which i was not aware

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast