1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Smile "Best" mountain bike in the $600-$700 range?

Hi all! Im new here, just wanted to say this is a great forum, anyway im looking for a bike again. I want a mountain bike and it has to come with disc brakes, air suspension, hardtail, and highly durable. Ill be using it as a commuter and trail bike. If you are giving an answer, is it also possibke that you cod give me a list of the best mtb's that are used for this price range? Thanks a ton everyone!!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: "Best" mountain bike in the $600-$700 range?

Not sure you're going to get everything you're looking for in that range... Mainly the air suspension. I have a Giant Talon 29er 2 I got for $599 and swapped out the fork for a Recon Gold... Couldn't be happier. Maybe check out the airborne guardian? Pretty nice specs in that range. Or maybe one of the motobecane bikes, but i dont know which one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Not sure you're going to get everything you're looking for in that range... Mainly the air suspension. I have a Giant Talon 29er 2 I got for $599 and swapped out the fork for a Recon Gold... Couldn't be happier. Maybe check out the airborne guardian? Pretty nice specs in that range. Or maybe one of the motobecane bikes, but i dont know which one.
    Agree with Gelati (also a Talon owner), other than the Talon, Airborne and Scott offer good specs on some of their " high end entry level" bikes. Instead of focusing on brands go to the shops, check the bikes out, test ride them, study specs and make an educated purchase.

At the end of the day buy the one that gives you more for your money and fits the best.

Cow Clicker
    Buy a $500 bike and do this: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    I dont know that you are going to find very many bikes that has air suspension on it for $600-$700 range unless you are buying used off craiglist. I agree with GelatiCruiser, look at the Airborn, it is a great bike for the price. I too funny enough also own a Talon and I replaced the fork to a Reba and also could not be happier with my bike.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Talon is great and affordable, great choice...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well talon is most definetly going to be something i look at. And about the air suspension, my neighbor is very familiar with bicycles (some 45 years worth of mechanics) and we came across a Gary Fisher platinum genesis. It come stock with air suspension, perfect welds, smooth shimano paddle shifters, etc.. All for around $300. Some other kid bought it though. What do you guys think about specialized?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    which talon is $700? The website says $1200 lol. Im assuming used. How good is the talon, i really like the way it looks and the specs seem pretty nice. How big a difference is the talon 0 over the talon 1?

mtbr member
    Wow, Giant has changed a little over the years. I bought mine in 2011. I got the Talon 29er 1, which changed to the Talon 29er 0 in 2012. At the time I purchased mine I paid $1000, but in 2011 they also had the Talon 29er 2 for $700. In 2012 they had the Talon 29er 0 for $1100, the Talon 29er 1 for $850, and the Talon 29er 2 for $650. It looks like in 2013 they have changed the name of the Talon 29er 2 to the Revel 29er 0, it has the same frame as the Talon 29er and it has Sram X-5 componants for $700. I am including a link to it.

Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you pay $450 for a Gravity Point1 from Bike Direct and then have Nick at Suntour sell you a Raidon air fork for $175+ship you will have a trail bike for $630. The Raidon weighs 5 lbs. For $240 you can buy a RockShox Recon Gold air fork from Random Bike Parts-- it weighs 3.8lbs. total $690.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    You can also look at the Northrock 29er at Costco and do the same upgrade.
    Lots of these 700 bikes are sold after a year because of the Suntour oem fork. Look for one used with receipt for the upgrade.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

I have the '12 Talon 2. Price was $649 but i got it at the end of the summer season on sale for $599. Upgraded the fork for $250 and bought pedals for $40. Have about $900 into it without riding gear (doesn't count! Lol) and I'm happy with it. Definitely look into what eb posted. Could get you onto the trail with a nice bike for not a lot of cash. There are a lot of options. Also, use your friend's contacts/experience and look around for a nice deal on a used bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Looks like a great bike. Im not exactly mechanically inclined but i have been riding a lot. Pleasure over thought i guess?

mtbr member
    Talon + Reba = Great bike

Paid $975 for the Talon 1 back in 2011, the Talon 2 at that time was around $600 with lesser components but still well specd when compared to the competition. The newer Talons have more models to choose from and Giant even threw a Revel 29er into the mix which is even cheaper.

MTB Fanatic
    Airborne Guardian.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Easy , used bike on eBay. Check completed listings in that price range. Nothing else comes close
    Last edited by bob13bob; 06-01-2013 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Used v bike?