1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best cycling shorts?

Who makes the best budget padded shorts?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    What kind of shorts are you looking for. Do you want baggy shorts, khaki, or just padded briefs?

I looked for a few minutes cheapest that I could find are the Price Point Epic Baggy Shorts, which are padded. I dont have any first hand experience with them.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I want the kind that does not has the feel of a soggy diaper.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Rich
    I want the kind that does not has the feel of a soggy diaper.
    Depends with leak-guard technology under some board shorts
    Honestly... ahh I give up

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll

you need to really try them on to see what feels good to you... and the only place to do that is the LBS. But LBS's prices on shorts are never cheap! the best place to get cheap shorts os on the Web......
    NOW you see the delema...... you need to gamble on good feeling/fitting shorts to get them cheap. unless you can find the same brand/model online as your LBS.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am wearing the cheap Sette ones off of price point. I fell over 3 times today (first time riding clipped in) and the thigh pads did pretty good. The 3rd time I fell was not because of stopping and falling over; the front wheel stopped listening to me and started to listen to the rocks. The rocks said throw his @$$ on the ground, so my bike did (stupid too much weight on the front wheel). Glad I had padded shorts.

I cannot give any feedback as to how well they hold up over time, but I will see soon enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    I am wearing the cheap Sette ones off of price point. I fell over 3 times today (first time riding clipped in) and the thigh pads did pretty good. The 3rd time I fell was not because of stopping and falling over; the front wheel stopped listening to me and started to listen to the rocks. The rocks said throw his @$$ on the ground, so my bike did (stupid too much weight on the front wheel). Glad I had padded shorts.

I cannot give any feedback as to how well they hold up over time, but I will see soon enough.
    What shorts are you talking about? The ones I suggested the OP look at?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fox....cant remember the style. Long, black, lightweight, baggy. Small pad area inside. Love them. Probably their latest shorts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry should have been more specific. The ones I am talking about are tighter shorts that definately require shorts over them.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...der-Shorts.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    Sorry should have been more specific. The ones I am talking about are tighter shorts that definately require shorts over them.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...der-Shorts.htm
    Oh, I see. Makes more sense now. I prefer something like that myself, because I can just wear what ever I want over them.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I have the Sette Peak Shorts and they are fantastic. Very comfortable and durable.

I also have the Fox Baseline which I hate. The inseam is ridiculously short and the rider behind me has to endure staring at my butt crack through out the ride. They are made for people with non-existent butts.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    Fox....cant remember the style. Long, black, lightweight, baggy. Small pad area inside. Love them. Probably their latest shorts.
    Ranger's.......Love em, Have em. You can find them on Chainlove sometimes for cheap!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    the lower end giordana stuff is really nice if you go the all lycra route. for baggies the Gore Bike Wear stuff is good - much lighter than endura and hoss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll

Sounds like some one knows what I am talking about!

So you guys are saying the underliners are better the the lycra?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Fox sergeant get rave reviews.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Fox Ranger shorts, pricepoint has them on sale now as well
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member

keeping it dirty
    Looks like that tire would rub on the exhaust haha

mtbr member
    How the hell does he fit on that seat? When I rode sport bikes I would take a girl friend out on it she would squeeze herself one to my seat. "It feels better when I touch you." Glad she thought so because I was riding on my nuts.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

usually cranky
    i buy my baggies and chamios seperatley. i find with the all in one shorts the lining does not go where it needs to.

TRANCER
    My gf got me the Fox Ultimatums that come with the padded underwears. They are extremely comfortable. And they have air vents everywhere. I highly recommend them.
    Ride

keeping it dirty
    I originally was looking at some of the "regular" style shorts. I checked out a Novara (REI) Metro Gel one, but the pads weren't as thick/sturdy as I would have liked, and the liner was not removable. Then I tried on the Pearl Izumi Elite Versa shorts with removable liner. The pads were alright but it seemed like the liner was too loose and the shell was too tight. I ended up getting a a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack instead. I was thinking about getting the Elite series ones but I didn't feel much of a difference between them, and I liked the thigh grips on the Attack instead.

http://www.rei.com/product/796162

I used some coupons and it ended up being ~$50.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets
    +1 for the Fox Ranger shorts, pricepoint has them on sale now as well

The '09 Rangers are fine, the '10s seem to have faulty buttons. They will pull right out of the fabric. I lost one button on my first ride with them and my second taking them off the hanger and unsnapping the button to put them on. Unfortunately I bought three pair of them when I bought one, so I just buttoned them up and then sewed them shut for a permanent fit.

No problems with the 09s doing that at all. I like the way the 10s are made with the integrated liner better than the 09s with the separate shell, but I'm actually going to switch to another brand.

I'm looking at the Hoss' because they have a buckle and not a button.

I don't have a beer gut either, I wear 30's and I'm 5'11". I just think the buttons suck, others have the same issue if you google and read the reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Any thoughts on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

AeroTech I believe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just bought a set of Fox from Performance. They are on clearance for $39.99. I also picked up some Performance liners so I can wear any shorts over them.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1086392_-1___

The liner is on sale for $24.99.

Hardwarz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast