1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

best chain lube? best way to clean drivetrain?

Ok, I have been using some chincy spray lube on my chain. I have had a few problems, nothing major but its definately time to get some decent chain lube and start cleaning properly all the time.... so here it goes:

1. Whats the best chain lube out there?

(Not sure if it matters but, I ride XC generally dry dustier trails... but winter is coming)

2. Whats the best way to clean the chain/ chainrings/ cassette?

(I was going to go to WalMart and get some cheap brushes, like those used for doing the dishes or household cleaning, to clean the rear cassette. What about the ParkTool chain cleaner... is that worth while. Trying to do this on the cheap, but also do a good job.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    White Lightning You only have to wipe down the chain between rides, nothing more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just use an old tooth brush and some simple green to clean the cassette. If the chain is too dirty to wipe clean with a rag, it gets a bath in mineral spirits and relubed.

I use tri-flow lube at the recommendation of the shop mechanic and the cycling club.

Made in Canada
    I use orange cleaner and a cheap brush from the grocery store that I picked up for under two bucks to clean off the grease and crud. Recently I've been using Finish Line lube and have had no problems with it it works well.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like this stuff a lot. Liberally apply to your chain, spin it for a few seconds and then wipe off. It doesn't attract a lot of gunk like the TriFlo stuff I used in the past.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The most important thing is to clean off the gritty crud that causes the wear to your drivetrain. Clean things often and get out the sand and stuff and your drivetrain will last lots longer.

I use 2/1 simple green and water and a some cheap brushes I got at a big box discount store. Rinse with fresh water (just use the hose without a sprayer or use the misting function -- you don't want to spray anything hard and drive the water in).

If you look in the kitchen and bathroom cleaning supply area and at the paint brushes you will find a wide variety of brushes that are ideal for bike cleaning. Use stiffer ones on the gooey crud and softer ones to brush away the loose stuff on painted areas when you clean.

If you clean often, any decent lube will do the trick. I use Tri-flow, Rem-oil, or lately, an industrial grade Teflon lube called Power Lube.

Apply liberally, then, and this is important, wipe off the excess so it doesn't act as a gunk magnet and form and abrasive slurry to wear away at your parts.

Clean parts last longer!

mtbr member
    duMonde tech is the best lube.

probably the best way to clean is to stick the chain in a bottle of degreaser and shake, then fish it out (don't pour), rinse and hang it to dry.
    If you lube correctly you shouldn't really need to clean your chain though. Most people apply too much. Apply lube, let it sit overnight, then wipe off the excess before riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have to disagree with twister - No need to apply liberally. One drop per roller on the side of the chain that contacts the chainring and cassette. Let it sit for as long as the manufacturer recommends then wipe off the excess with a rag.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer90
    I like this stuff a lot. Liberally apply to your chain, spin it for a few seconds and then wipe off. It doesn't attract a lot of gunk like the TriFlo stuff I used in the past.

Yup, this stuff stands up to moisture better than the wax stuff and is still not as messy as other lubes.

The Park brush and cleaner for cassettes and chain rings is a good tool to have in addition to old toothbrushes.

Good luck.

Hardbooter
    Wax is the best!

Look up a guide for melting wax and soaking the chain. It doesn't attract dirt, and if you put a small amount of oil in the mixture, it's completely hydrophobic.

I guarantee with wax your chain will look almost as cool as mine in my avatar.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the input.