mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Best bike for new riders?

I'm new to MTB and I have a old 17.5 Spec Hard Rock. I don't use clipless. Bottom line, I'm in good shape, good at general biking skills, but my equipment sucks. For Christmas I want a new bike and so I need to know a model, brand, or type of bike to tell my parents so I can help them pick it out and pay for it, etc. So my heart is in trials (like water bars, tabletops, slabs, bridges, rock gardens, berms, regular trails like that. But I have a job doing a class on 4x4 roads with steep ascents/descents, ruts, rocks, etc. I need a bike that can do it all. Not necessarily an all-mtn bike, but just a bike that can literally do a lot and do it all of it WELL.

Also, any tips or suggestions for clipless shoes help me

thanks

T.W.O
    Narrow it down a bit. What is the budget and what brands do your LBS sell?
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think i have 3 LBS, not sure what brands, but I have an REI that sells Treks, and 1 LBS.

Under $1000 preferably.

b a n n e d
    How old are you? I'm guessing on the younger side . . . .

For $1000, you can get plenty of bike. I'd suggest looking for a good mid-level hardtail. Gaining experience on a hardtail will teach you plenty of skills that will last a lifetime of biking that you wont acquire as easily on a FS frame (most notably picking your lines).

Trek/Gary Fisher have plenty of good options. I personally learned on a GF Marlin and really, really loved that bike. Can be had for under $1K and usually come with decent spec's for the price.

As much as I love REI for outdoor gear, most of the REI's that I have been in have a crappy bike selection and relatively inexperienced bike staff. The same can also be said of an LBS, but a dedicated bike shop will (or at least should) have a better selection. Make sure when picking something out that you ride several bikes from several manufacturers. And once you find one that "feels" good, try that same bike in a size bigger and a size smaller to make sure you've got the right sized frame. Even if it LOOKS too big, it might feel better in the saddle.

Good luck!

(wish my parents still bought me bikes! They bought the first one, but balked at the $5K the price tag on the second one )

T.W.O
    For 1k just go to your various shops and try out their trek, giant, specialized, and scott models in your price class. They will pretty much all have the same components. Pick the one that feels best to you, and if you have a good feeling about the shop that is a bonus. See what kind of warranties they offer upfront as far as 1 year tune ups, etc. But the fit is the most important part. Stay away from a full suspension unless you can get a clearance out model around 1,200. Original price probably over 1,500 for sure.

Good luck.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)