1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

The BEST bike is ...

I am tired of seeing posts in which someone asks what the best bike for a given price point is – or which of two or three bikes at that price point is better. For any given price point, all of the bikes are too close to legitimately say one is better. If any one was better, they’d raise the price to reflect that. If any one was worse, they’d have to lower the price. No many how many times people ask for the best bike for less than $600 or $800 or $1,000, no one is going to be able to direct them to a carbon full-suspension bike with 27.5 wheels.

The best bike at any given price point is the one that is sold by a reputable bike shop that is close enough to you that you don’t spend several hundred dollars in travel costs or shipping costs.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mr. Crankypants...

This is a beginner section. Chances are, people are going to be looking for the best bike that they can get with the amount of money they have. Chances are they haven't done a ton of research or know much about components.

If you don't like those posts, maybe just dont read them?
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    the best bike is my Karate Monkey and everyone else's bike is junk.

mtbr member
    The best bike is the one that I can afford to buy and have fun riding it.

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    The best bike is the one that I choose that wasn't influenced by people on a website.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I am tired of seeing posts in which someone asks what the best bike for a given price point is – or which of two or three bikes at that price point is better. For any given price point, all of the bikes are too close to legitimately say one is better. If any one was better, they’d raise the price to reflect that. If any one was worse, they’d have to lower the price. No many how many times people ask for the best bike for less than $600 or $800 or $1,000, no one is going to be able to direct them to a carbon full-suspension bike with 27.5 wheels.

The best bike at any given price point is the one that is sold by a reputable bike shop that is close enough to you that you don’t spend several hundred dollars in travel costs or shipping costs.
    It happens, you'll get used to it. Like moe said it's the beginner's forum. You were there once. When I joined I was not sure the conversion of shock eye-to-eye measurement some min inch and some in mm. I just want to make sure. Some A-hole posted a pic of ruler, I said??? he then posted a pic of a pistol, nice

I don't mind the question, if I feel like it I'd participate if not I just read something else, because behind the keyboard is a noob trying to digest all the info. You'll come around, it's an inevitable cycle, once you get to the next point, you'll be ready to give back to the community of the sport you love.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The best bike is the one that I can afford to buy and have fun riding it.
    +∞ this!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's natural for newer riders to want to do their due diligence so they don't make a poor purchasing decision. Of course the only true answer to the question "What is the best bike?", is "It depends."

It depends on many things:

* budget
    * intended use
    * riding style
    * terrain that bike will mostly be ridden on
    * fitness level
    * skill level
    * proximity to bike shop(s)
    * likeliness to work on their own bike
    * proficiency when working on their own bike

Eventually, the above (and probably more) should be taken into account if one expects to receive well considered feedback. Getting the information that needs to be considered can be a bit tedious, especially when there are some that feel they shouldn't disclose too much when asking the "best bike" question because someone else might feel imposed upon to read more than a few lines before offering an opinion as to how someone they don't know should spend several hundred dollars.

This is the designated place for noobs to come and ask noob questions about things a noob would want to know. I don't epect them to know what they likely have no business knowing. . . . because they're . . . . . noobs.

I know it seems like all entry level bikes at a given price point are essentially the same, and sometimes they are pretty similar, but often times there are some deals that are generally better across the board, and some would be a better deal for a given rider in a given circumstance.

I don't answer all of those questions, as I would likely burn out doing so and I have no incentive to do so, but I do take the time to answer some of them. We were all nobs at one time or another, and may have appreciated some experienced opinions when I was in that position. It never hurts to ask politely for input or assistance.