mtbr member
    May 2010

Best all rounder, for a semi-beginner?

Hi ive bee looking to find a descent bike for a while now, im not having much luck with the search so i thought i would just jump in an ask.

So a little bit of background: I started uni last year and didnt bring my bike with me, it was nothing special some mass produced one i got years ago, but it held up really well with me throwing it round the nearest wood.

Then i went on holiday to Winterberg in Germany, i had there before and new they were building a bike park couldn't wait to give it ago. Rented a descent bike for a few days and absolutely loved it!

When i got back to the UK I missed my bike a hell of a lot so this year i brought it back to uni only to have it stolen a month in. I went out and brought the cheapest bike i could find just to get me to uni and back (and i only needed it for a year), in retrospect that was a bad idea ive had it less than six months and its almost falling apart. Its not that i abuse it (ok maybe i do a little bit, but when there's a epic row of speed bumps at the bottom of the hill its to hard to resist) but i ride it hard, and it hasn't fared well

So exams are almost over and the weathers improving I thought I would give biking a good go. As I said I love hitting the woods bombing it around, finding a few dirt jumps that sort of thing so it has be "hard" enough to with stand that but i would also need to use it to get to and from uni/summer job on the roads on a daily basis. Ive got about £300 to spend (about $430), but as a poor student cheap would be better.

Any help you can give me would be great.
    Thanks.
    W4rp3d

p.s I live in Colchester in Essex in England in non-term time and Reading during the term if you know anywhere good to ride round near those two places that would be great to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You're looking at an entry level hardtail. My understanding with consumer goods prices in the UK is it's basically dollars for pounds (i.e. if we would consider $400 dollars as the starting point for a bike, in the UK it would be 400 pounds). So with your 300 pounds I would suggest looking used. Surely there is a pretty good market in used bikes near the university, with students coming and going all the time. I suggest looking for 27 speeds and disk brakes if you can find them at your price point. Rockshox Dart fork is probably about the best you're going to find up front, but who knows? Post links to bikes you find that way.

If you want to go new, in the US you can sometimes do okay at some of the big box stores (Dicks, REI, NOT WalMart!), but I'm not sure if you have equivalents over there.

David B.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Not sure if you will find a decent entry hardtail new in UK for £300. To start with any i see new never have disc brakes. Few places to check are:
    www.cyclesurgery.com
    www.chainreactioncycles.com
    www.wiggle.co.uk
    www.evanscycles.com

See what you find and as david said post them here before you make a desision as people will be able to give advice on experience with components etc.

Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Also doesnt Mersey Island have some good riding areas? Or out by the new Community Stadium? I havent been riding down that way since i moved from Clacton.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^^^What are you responding to?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Lol thats what i thought when i read it haha.

Members who have read this thread: 0