1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bent Spokes!

Level 5 Rider!

Bent Spokes!

Hey guys the other day I was pulling a trailer and the connector detached during the ride. It has a safety strap but unfortunately it sent the connector into my rear tire. Now I have a bend in the spoke and some other scratched up ones. Just wondering how bad a slight bend in the spokes are...
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

My little friends
    If only slight; not too bad. Ping the spokes and listen to the tones to make sure one isn't too loose or tight. If you need to replace one, you need to either go to the LBS, or remove the cassette yourself if you have the tool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    don't think you need cassette tool if spoke is on non drive (left) side. I would just check trueness/true your will (youtube) as this should be part of regular bike maintenance anyway. I use a zip tie on my fark as a reference point.