1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Bent Spoke!?

mtbr member

Bent Spoke!?

It looks like I have a bent spoke.

I like mud
    Cool.

Nothing to worry about.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

My little friends
    Just caught a stick in the wheel, should be no problem.

mtbr member
    scars are sweet.
    should i have it straightened/tightened.

My little friends
    Nope, leave it alone. Ping it with your fingernail and listen to the tone compared to the others. Unless it's tone is "dead", it is not loose.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's also worth giving your wheel a spin and seeing if it's still running true.

One of my spokes has been bent for close to a year. It happens to bikes that get ridden off-road.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    It's also worth giving your wheel a spin and seeing if it's still running true.

One of my spokes has been bent for close to a year. It happens to bikes that get ridden off-road.
    This.

Pluck the spoke like a guitar string and compare the pitch to the neighboring spokes. As long as the pitch is similar you should still have a relatively true wheel. If it is a lower pitch, grab a torque wrench and tighten it a quarter or half turn until the pitch is similar to the neighboring spokes pulling from the same side of the hub (ie, compare nondrive side spokes to one another, drive side spokes will always be tighter/higher pitched).

duh
    if you tire spins true, no warp don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is it still holding tension? Should be fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not much to worry about. Since I built my wheels I would deflate the tire and demount that area on one side. Clip the spoke 4" down and push it and the nipple out. Weave in a new on and reverse thread a lubed nipple onto another spoke and poke it through and start it unto the new lubed spoke end. Bring it up to tension with the TM-1 or by pinging. Cost a buck and take less time then this.