1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Bent my Shimano X5 rear Derailleur. Repair worthwhile?

Title says it all. It is slightly bent so that the middle gears (3,4,5) are popping back and forth while the extremes are just fine. LBS said they can straighten using their special tool for 15bucks. So I ask you wiser bikers: Is straightening a reliable fix or is it a mickey-mouse fix?
    Spent too much time on this...

Hmmmmm
    If it's an X5, isn't that Sram?

In any case sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    Sram X5 and Shimano SLX derailleurs are so cheap if you shop around some, that I'd just buy a new one.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It is most likely the derailleur hanger (part of the frame), not the derailleur itself that is bent. At least I've never heard of a special tool to straighten a derailleur. So if that is the case, your options are to have it straightened, or replace the hanger if yours is replaceable. Posting pictures always helps with tech questions

AZ
    banned
    I'll also bet that the hanger is bent and needs to be straightened.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bent the arms on my SLX derailleur and I just bent it back with my hands and it worked fine.

That said, for $15 if it works fine again I'd do it versus buying a new one parts/labor. Unless you don't like the X5

mtbr member
    Try to do it yourself first. When looking at the deraileur from above and from behind, the 2 jockey pulleys should be in the same plane as your cog, and lined up in straight line. So, you might need some twisting as well as side to side bending, to get it just right.

mtbr member
    I agree. Sounds like the hanger. Straightening it is a reasonable thing to try and do. The alternative is to buy a new hanger, and you might ask about the price, because a new hanger might not cost more than straightening the old one.

AZ
    banned
    You need a spare hanger anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You probably bent your hanger and not your derailluer. I would just buy a new hanger because once it has been bent it will bend again very easily. I have paid from 17 to 35 for my hanger and it is worth just replacing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's the hanger. The tool attaches to the derailleur hanger (after you remove the hanger.) It then measures the angle of the derailleur hanger relative to the rear wheel. By pushing on the rod that extends away derailleur hanger, you can bend it back into place.

I can tell you that mostly, the bottom of the derailleur hanger is bent inward and needs pulled out. Some guys just use an adjustable wrench. Others use the tool. Eventually, a derailleur hanger will need replaced if it's bent back into place too many times.

With that said, I'm buying the tool, I hate going into my shop and borrowing theirs.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    With that said, I'm buying the tool, I hate going into my shop and borrowing theirs.
    You probably won't regret it. I bought one a couple of seasons ago thinking I'd hardly ever use it, but it's become possibly my most-used specialty tool. Probably more than half the shifting problems I see are rooted in a bent hanger.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies, all. Yes, I did mean SRAM and yes I did mean the hanger. Well done figuring out my half-witted post. I've eyeballed the hanager and it does have a SLIGHT inward bend. I'll bend it a little and then give na update with pics. Thanks again for the responses.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Venture View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies, all. Yes, I did mean SRAM and yes I did mean the hanger. Well done figuring out my half-witted post. I've eyeballed the hanager and it does have a SLIGHT inward bend. I'll bend it a little and then give na update with pics. Thanks again for the responses.

Cheers
    Make sure you take the derailleur off before you try and bend it back.

If you don't, you will probably end up bending the derailleur cage and not the hanger... creating more problems.

Picture Unrelated
    It really helps a lot to have the proper tool when doing this as a little misalignment goes a long way in your shifting. Give it a try but don't bend too hard and only bend the hanger.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What do you do if the hanger has a slight bend and is part of the frame, meaning the derailleur attaches directly to the frame? Is there a proper straigthening tool for the job?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime1GT View Post
    What do you do if the hanger has a slight bend and is part of the frame, meaning the derailleur attaches directly to the frame? Is there a proper straigthening tool for the job?
    Take it to a bike shop and they will use the proper tool for the job. Or buy the proper tool, whatever you'd prefer, but don't skimp when it comes to adjusting your hanger.

I eventually had to convert my frame to singlespeed because the hanger could not hold its position any longer. Every time you bend your hanger into or out of shape, it fatigues it. Keep adjusting it to keep the bike running but be aware that some day it might fail.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    http://www.parktool.com/product/dera...nt-gauge-dag-2
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Yes. You need the tool described in the following article:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nger-alignment

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the replies. hardwarz, I saw the video from ParkTools and I can see how simple it would be to realign the hanger. JG, the picture of the derailleur being out of alignment is exactly how mine looks but the hanger doesn't seem to be as bent. It's all from a perspective though. This sets a whole new light why I'm having trouble setting the rear derailleur. Again thanks.

mtbr member
    Success! Hanger is now back to its former glory. All hail the pros that puruse Beginner's Corner. Thanks for the help, all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bent my Shimano X5 rear Derailleur. Repair worthwhile?-07262011818.jpg