1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Beginner's Sizing Question

Ok so I have the option of a pretty good deal on a Yukon FX in size large. I have had it on loan for a bit now and have taken it on a couple hour+ rides. It feels a little big but is not uncomfortable and I think by switching the stem to a shorter one the minor discomfort I had in my hands would probably be eliminated.

So my question on bike fit is this. I am 5'9" with a 32" inseem. Should I take the good deal or just wait until I can afford a bit smaller frame? What are some other concerns with having a frame that is a bit large?

As for riding style, I live in florida so it is mostly Flat, I commute about 50 miles a week, and plan on doing some trail riding on the weekends but its not like I have any mountains to ride off the side of around.

Just looking for the opinions of some more experienced guys.

Oh and for what its worth, Hi Im Yoda, Im 30 and I live in Orlando Florida.

mtbr member
    Try it out.
    The drawbacks of riding a frame that's too big include an uncomfortable "stretched out" feeling on the bike, along with poor maneuverability, both due to the slightly longer top tube. Imagine the mobility of a BMX bike, now try those tricks with a road bike. That's an extreme example, but it sort of gives you an idea of how frame size (and geometry) matter a lot.

You've had it on rides, and if you feel that a stem swap will solve your problems, then go for it, but also know that a shorter stem will change the way that bike handles. Will the shop/seller allow you to try a shorter stem? You're spending a lot of money, so you want to make sure you get the right fit the first time.

Cheezy Rider
    I've twice bought bikes that were too big for me because they were great deals. Finally learned my lesson. You'd be better off buying a bike that fits, even if the components aren't as good.

Having said that, it sounds like you're right on the cusp between a medium and large frame, so tweaking the stem might do it. I'd try riding some other bikes and see how they feel. If you find one that feels right stick with it, if they all feel like they need some tweaking then might as well go for the Yukon.