1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Beginners question??

Hello guys,

I recently bought my first MTB, a Fuji Nevada 3.0. I got a good deal at my LBS for $350 So far I have been going to trails three times a week and the bike is awesome!!
    Here are the specs
    Fuji Bikes | MOUNTAIN SERIES | SPORT HARDTAIL | NEVADA 3.0
    Now my friend just got a new bike and gave me his old bike. Its a Dawes Haymaker 1000. Here are the specs
    Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1000
    The bike is still in good shape but it has been used quite a bit. Now my questions is, I am giving this bike to my younger brother, should I replace some of the parts to my Fuji? For example the wheels and disk brakes, since the Fuji doesnt have disc brakes. Are cheap disk brakes that much better than cheap V brakes? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Ride both, keep the one you like better.

My .02
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't try to swap anything more complicated than the saddle or pedals between bikes. Disc vs. V brakes is also a difference in wheels, and they require different mounts on the frame. I'm too lazy to try to figure out your particular bikes, but while many frames that ship with Vs are disc-ready, not many bikes that ship with discs have the right mounts for Vs.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The fuji has rear disc mounts, so swap the wheelset, brakes (caliper, cables (others will be too short).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks guys. Yea I think I will swap just the wheels with the disk brakes. The Fuji frame does have disk brake mounts but the dawes doesnt have the v brake mounts. I will buy a bmx rear brake for the dawes and give it to my brother. This is the brake I am looking at for the Dawes.
    Tektro BMX Sidepull AFS Black at JensonUSA.com

local trails rider
    I doubt the Dawes has a mount that fits the BMX brake. It certainly doesn't seem to have mounts for a V brake. Looks like a disc-only frame

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here is a pick of the dawes frame. Can I just install the bmx brake on that hole?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
    Here is a pick of the dawes frame. Can I just install the bmx brake on that hole?
    You might get away w/doing that, using the brake that you linked to earlier. I've seen that approach used on BMX bikes. It strikes me as lame, but I have seen it used.

Is the hole the correct distance from the wheel? That'd be my main question, because that frame probably wasn't built w/a BMX brake in mind. You'd just need to try it.

I'm kind of glad I'm not your younger brother.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    ... that frame probably wasn't built w/a BMX brake in mind. You'd just need to try it.

My thoughts exactly

The hole is probably there for fender installation and/or manufacturing purposes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    You might get away w/doing that, using the brake that you linked to earlier. I've seen that approach used on BMX bikes. It strikes me as lame, but I have seen it used.

Is the hole the correct distance from the wheel? That'd be my main question, because that frame probably wasn't built w/a BMX brake in mind. You'd just need to try it.

Lol!!! Thanks man!!!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I own a couple of bikes that are intended to have brakes mounted on the chainstay bridge. The hole is not just a hole - they're actually reinforced when they're supposed to be brake mounts. That one looks like it's for a rack or fender.

IIRC, BMX sidepulls and U brakes are supposed to go with old-school levers, like for cantilevers. It won't have much braking power with a V-brake lever. You're actually making the bike less safe for your brother. You won't see a big performance improvement switching from Vs to a mechanical disc unless you don't know how to tune your V-brakes (in which case, please take both bikes to a shop and get them reassembled by a mechanic.)

"It's all in fun until someone loses an eye."
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Guys!!! The Fuji is only one week old and I was boght my LBS so it was tunned by the shop. It brakes fine and actually brakes better than some of my friends bikes with disk brakes. I think I am just going to leave it the way it is since its working fine. Plus I wouldnt want my brother have an accident because of the brakes. thanks Guys

mtbr member
    Good choice.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod