1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

beginner wants full-suspension...

hi guys so im completely new to this, but i want/need a new sport so i decided to try mountain biking...

i used to do some BMX dirt jumping back in the day and that was a blast so i figure getting on some local trails on a full-suspension mountain bike would be even more fun...

anyways so im almost ready to buy the Iron Horse Maverick 4.5. I found one brand new at a local shop for $500. I read that this is a good beginner bike, but that its heavy.. it didnt seem THAT heavy to me when i tried it out, but what do i know, im a newb...

my budget is $600 and i know i want full suspension... should i just get this Iron horse, or look for something different??? any sugestions would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm a beginner also... Just purchased a 2008 Trek 6000. Don't buy a full-suspension, you get much more bang for the buck with a hardtail in your price range. I also wanted a FS, but held off and got a hardtail until I know this is a sport I want to keep investing in. Overall, do what you want, but the rear-suspension you'll get for a $600 bike isn't going to be any more comfortable than a hardtail for that money. Get a decent hardtail and work with it until you think you need a FS. I haven't encountered anything I couldn't handle on a hardtail yet, and I'm guessing you won't either because were both newb's right now. P.S. I also use to ride BMX... trail riding is A LOT more fun!

mtbr member
    I think your budget is too low for a decent FS bike. While it will smooth out the ride, other problems will come up that could interfere with your riding like pedal bob and climbing problems due to no lockout option. The lest expensive FS bike I've seen that seems worth owning is the Giant Yukon at about $800.

For $600 you can get yourself a pretty good hardtail that will last a long time. That bike will have some good quality components that will enhance the overall experience.

Singletrack +1
    Heh, yeah, i bought a Warp DS2 couple years back, cause i wanted a FS and didn't want to shell out that cash. It's a great frame, fun ride, but not very efficient. For less money, I'd have gotten better components on a hardtail, and probably been more trail capable. That said... I loved that Warp DS2, and if it hadn't weighed so dang much, I'd have thrown some money into upgrading it.... Just not an AM rig. Feel free to disagree Warp
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysTrek
    Heh, yeah, i bought a Warp DS2 couple years back, cause i wanted a FS and didn't want to shell out that cash. It's a great frame, fun ride, but not very efficient. For less money, I'd have gotten better components on a hardtail, and probably been more trail capable. That said... I loved that Warp DS2, and if it hadn't weighed so dang much, I'd have thrown some money into upgrading it.... Just not an AM rig. Feel free to disagree Warp
    I actually still have a Warp 3. My wife rides it now. That bike was the inspiration for my opinion on waiting until the OP can, at least, double the budget.

spec4life???..smh...
    Seems everyone had rather dispute your question rather than answer it, so here is an actual answer. The iron horse is a decent bike with a good entry level fork, other than that however it is a amped up dept. store bike. The only real entry level full susp. bike to consider is the Giant Yukon FX (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...n/1382/29355/). This bike atually has decent deraillers as well as the same fork and much better brakes. This should definetly be your leading canidate for a new FS bike. Sure the MSRP is a little above your budget but you could find last years models cheaper.

Another thing, have you considered used? Check craigs list or ebay. My own personal rule however is if i cant look at it in person i dont buy it.

The others are right though a HT would give you better value for your money, and a real FS bike would start around $1500, but the giant is a great entry level FS bike on a low budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Seems everyone had rather dispute your question rather than answer it, so here is an actual answer. The iron horse is a decent bike with a good entry level fork, other than that however it is a amped up dept. store bike. The only real entry level full susp. bike to consider is the Giant Yukon FX (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...n/1382/29355/). This bike atually has decent deraillers as well as the same fork and much better brakes. This should definetly be your leading canidate for a new FS bike. Sure the MSRP is a little above your budget but you could find last years models cheaper.

Another thing, have you considered used? Check craigs list or ebay. My own personal rule however is if i cant look at it in person i dont buy it.

The others are right though a HT would give you better value for your money, and a real FS bike would start around $1500, but the giant is a great entry level FS bike on a low budget.
    thank you.. this is the answer i was looking for... although i appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions... and i knew that everyone was gonna suggest a hardtail first, but i just dont think a hardtail would be as fun, and i want a FS..

the giant seems like a great bike, but im just not ready to spend over $700 on a bike, i know i said my budget was $600, but upon thinking about it some more i realized that i dont even want to spend that much... YET.. i mean what if i absolutely HATE mountain biking?!

anyways, i was able to talk the LBS to give me 10% off the already reduced sale price, and so i ordered the iron horse maverick 4.5 for $450.. im pretty happy cause thats an $800 bike (or atleast thats what the sticker price said) that i got for $450!!! Not to mention warranty and lifetime tuning from the shop (something i wouldn't get if buying used)...

it arrives in about 10 days and im pretty excited I can always reconsider and get my money back, but i think i will stick with it, beat up on it, and get a taste of what this sport is all about... and then i can upgrade in the future, if i really get into it...

thanks

spec4life???..smh...
    I completly hear what your saying. No need to throw a bunch of money into a bike and then it end up sitting in the garage. As i said thats a nice entry level bike. Go ride it hard and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Maverick 4.5

I have a Mav 4.5. You;re gonna LOVE IT. I;m a roadie, converted to MTB. I have a hard tail too. The Iron Horse is akick to ride. I feek the same way you do. You made the rifgt decision.

BTW... the weakest point is the tires. Mine seperated. The shop replaced them. I upgrades to Panaracer Fire XC . Really great tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One word: Closeouts.

I recently bought a brand new 2003 Trek Liquid 20 for $449. The bike originally sold for $2200.

Deals can be found out there, but it may not be the bike on your "list".
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my bike comes with a life time of free tune ups. i only used it once. its just basically adjusting the brakes and derailleurs. i found it a pain to take it to the shop and wait a few days to a week to get it tuned... of course other shops will be faster but its still a pain to take it to the shop for a tune up.

if you get into biking, i suggest scouring youtube or buy a book on how to maintain your bike. start with derailleur tuning and adjusting your brakes. those two will pop up the most with a new bike.

congrats on the new bike. post ride pics and report.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My wife got me that bike for my wedding present! I broke my collar bone on a wal-mart bike when we started dating, then it was stolen out of the back yard... so she got me the maverick 4.5. I have LOVED it, it is completely stock and i climb with guys wearing jerseys... I figure it is a good work out and if I ever get a lighter bike I'll just be that much faster.

carrying it to the apartment isn't so fun

Singletrack +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckb00
    completely stock and i climb with guys wearing jerseys...
    Sorry. Just seemed a little odd to be thrown in as an accomplishment for the bike, so i quoted it. Perhaps some actual information would help the poor guy with the decision. Maybe, I can hang with guys who wear jerseys AND ride $5,000 FS rigs.... Kudos!
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    eh... I really meant guys who are way better than I am, I'm sure their bikes are crazy insane as well!

since he has already purchased the bike, what upgrade would be most beneficial to this specific bike? .... lighter tires since it is heavy? the correct coil for the vanilla to match his weight? ..... or just ride it and save your $30 towards a new bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ckb00
    eh... I really meant guys who are way better than I am, I'm sure their bikes are crazy insane as well!

since he has already purchased the bike, what upgrade would be most beneficial to this specific bike? .... lighter tires since it is heavy? the correct coil for the vanilla to match his weight? ..... or just ride it and save your $30 towards a new bike?
    yeah i've been told NOT to upgrade the bike and just ride it the way it is and save for the next bike... although new tires and perphaps a stiffer coil wouldn't be a bad idea... we'll see..