1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Beginner Training Program

I am a brand new rider and I'm looking for a good training program.

I'm pretty out of shape and I was just trying to get an idea of how many miles I should be putting in. Does anybody have any good programs?

Hey! Watch This!
    It would be a good idea to instead of looking for a program, just go out and ride for an hour every day, or several hours every day. The best thing you can do is just get out and ride.

www.BluemaxxRacing.com
    Aug 2006
    I just started helping a buddy out who is also new to MTB riding and very out of shape. All we are doing is riding a jeep road (at his pace) for one hour. That is plenty hard. Next, we will start climbing a bit and after that, we'll try an easy trail. Just ride for one hour and you will find that is tough enough for now

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I'd personally try the "training" section of these forums; those guys know everything (seriously).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What the other member said just ride. I am slowly getting into shape myself from 280 to 250 in the past 3 months with diet and for the last 2 months cycling as well. Ride as much as you can keeping a steady rpm and maybe mix it up with a climb here and there just to get your legs used to the occasional hill you will come across. Do this on or off road.

My self I'm lucky enough to have a 1 mile packed gravel ( multi use trail) oval track nearby, my normal routine is 3 miles, 1 mile single track( they have horse trails there as well), and finally 3 more miles all within about 1-1.5 hours. 1 to 3 times a week when I can and this has helped alot. So when I go to the actual riding trails those intimidating climbs are possible.