1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Beginner Needs Help Picking a 29er

I am getting back in to the MT Bike world and have decided to order a 29er of bikesdirect.com. I want to stay in the $400-$600 range. I am 6'1/6'2" and am looking to get a 19". I am trying to decide between the fantom 29er and the cliff 29er comp. Is the extra hundred worth it. Am I completely off and should be getting a bike somewhere else. Or maybe even a single speed? That idea is crazy to me but a guy at my LBS swears by them. I am in the lovely NW so it would be uphill then downhill type stuff but who knows where I'll take my bike?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you're looking to go the bikesdirect route, spend just alittle more and get the Cliff 29er Pro for 699.00. This bike is just sooo much better specd for what really is just a small amount more, Tora 318 soloair, juicy 5 hydro brakes, Sram X7, it's all over the other two. Spend alittle more out of the gate and save yourself alot of Money down the not too distant road, think you're making a good choice going 29er also, IMO the hype is correct. Good luck, think about what I said before you pull the trigger, price these upgrades separate you'll see.

P.S. I wouldn't buy a single speed as my primary bike, being that you're just getting back into it.
    Last edited by TiCain; 04-08-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Underskilled
    +1 what he said,
    The price difference is not throw away money, but seriously worth the investment.

A good fork makes a huge difference in not only the quality of ride, but safety, control and most importantly fun.

The 318 air is the cheapest good fork on the market.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCain
    P.S. I wouldn't buy a single speed as my primary bike, being that you're just getting back into it.
    I am curious as to why you would say this? I have never MTBed in my life until two weeks ago and picked up an Outcast 29er (Full rigid and SS) and it has been the most fun I've had in forever. I went with the SS to have less to worry about just starting off and also its helped get my legs back into shape quicker (at least I feel that way) because instead of being able to drop to a lower gear I just have to tell myself to push harder.

In the end though, it always comes down to personal preference. Ride whatever you like, just as long as you are riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I just pulled the trigger on my Windsor cliff 29er pro! I am so excited. Anyone have suggestions on things I should purchase right away. I have never been a fan of clipless pedals so I might replace those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Congratulations on your new ride! Great decision to spend extra for the Pro. Just got my 29er two weeks ago and it's been nothing but great new experiences. Enjoy... and post some pics when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks man. I wil definitly post pics as well as my experience as a complete begineer who dove into a Cliff 29er Pro. Anyone have a recomendation for tools or a multi tool? I have basic tools from years of working on cars but nothing bike specific.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Congrats on the new bike, that's a sweet deal for the money. wwwpricepoint.com has an inexpensive tool kit Sette Torx ST-21, for 44.98, the tools aren't highend, but not a bad little kit. Multi tool, the Topeak Hexus 16 has been great for me, pretty much everything is there for a trail side repair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not knocking the SS, I wouldn't mind having one, me I'm not the strongest rider and would have a hard time on the mountains where I live. The simplicity is very appealing though, enjoy it because I'm sure it will make you a very strong rider. Take care