1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Beginner Needs Help!

Hey everyone, I'm sure you get this a lot and it's probably preference, but I want to know some experts and personal input on my choosing my first bike. I will be doing some intermediate trails, I have been biking a few times in a rented bike and I love it, but I want to get my own and so on... My budget is $500, I would love a bike $400 or below, but thats VERY rare. Post up bikes (and links) to bikes you have ridden or would be a good choice for me now. I think I wanna go hardtail becuase I'm not doing any intense downhill. Just some nice, up, down, up down. Not many mountains in my area, but plenty of hils. I really love the Motobecane Fantom Trail Bike...even if it is $600 at directbikes.com. Its a great deal and I can put out a little extra cash for something like that. I would like to have a shock lock as well as disc brakes, but those are preferences.

Thanks in advance for any input!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Would you consider a used bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    well I should have an open mind right...sure. something atleast like-new...but I'd rather brand-new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    New, in that price range...I'd go with the most expensive bikesdirect bike you can afford. You can probably find a much nicer used bike on craigslist...something that was $1200ish a few years ago for half the price...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ok thanks man...bikesdirect.com gets like 50-60% brand new bikes becuase of warehouse prices. Are they legit? I've been thinking about craigslist, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like that durango, looks nice. Anyone else have an opinion or idea?

Thanks so far!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's two I like, both are about $400. Use the extra $100 for pedals and a better seat.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32576

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8FS7.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i will def take those ideas into consideration djp, anyone know anything about the Fezzari Kings Peak cross-country bike?

http://www.fezzari.com/products/inde..._Peak_XC/14/35

I was also looking at the Trek 4400 bikes. opinion on any of these?