1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Beginner needs advice

So i posted this in the Bike and Frame forum aswell, didnt realize there was a beginner forum so here is the jist of it...

Hi guys my name is Igor and i just joined here, so hello all.

Now to the important stuff, I am getting back into the sport of riding, I will mainly ride aggressive trails, no crazy jumps or anything of that sort. Now my questions are, Should i go with a XC or FR bike, ive done a bit of research and come to the basic conclusion that a FR frame it built a bit stronger? but will the increase in rake make it difficult to traverse technical terrain? I am looking at Iron Horse bikes because they are priced very reasonably and i could upgrade the components as i desire with out the initial cost. My price range is at $900 for a complete bike, excluding riding gear, I am looking at full suespension bikes. If it help I am 5'7" and about 155lbs. Any and all input is welcome as long as its constructive.

TIA,
    ~Igor

Updates, i got a sweet new gig so my budget has increased to about $1800. Also could you give me some names that you would recommend for me to check out?

link to other post: Getting back into it... questions inside...

Cheezy Rider
    For $1800 you should be able to get a nice FS ride. You have a ton of options, check out the reviews section on this site. I would go for more of an XC rig than FR. It will climb better and you're not heavy so it should be burley enough for you.

You might have better luck seeing what your local shops have available and then asking about those models in the manufacturers forums on this site. Good luck!