1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Beginner MTBR

KJ
    Aug 2013

Beginner MTBR

I just recently moved from San Diego to Phoenix. I was an everyday surfer and since I am 500 miles from the pacific I decided to pick up a new hobby. I just bought a 2008 Giant Boulder SE on craigslist for $50. The bike was in really good condition and feels comfortable to ride.

So far I have rode it almost everyday to commute to school and also on some light off road trails. I am extremely green when it comes to bikes and I was hoping to get some advice on maintenance and also if my bike was a good buy. I am excited about getting into riding and would love to connect with other riders in the phoenix area.

Kevin J

Name:  Giant Boulder SE.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  9.7 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Youtube for repairs ,Park Tools and Sheldon Brown .There is a thread here also. For 50$ hard to go wrong. Check the az form.

mtbr member

Re: Beginner MTBR

Nice find for $50 can't go wrong. Get urself some bike lube and grease, then just do a search here and Google for anything u need to do. But make sure to maintain, biggest cause of failures for beginners is lack of maintenance. Proper maintenance can keep a Walmart bike going for a while longer than you'd think (personal experience) so same care and replacing things when ur supposed to (chain, regreasing, etc) and a quality bike like u have will last longer than you'll keep it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Hi There!
    +1 on checking the arizona forum toward the bottom here, and also there are lots of beginner's skills videos in the beginner's forum. lastly, this whole forum has some really knowledgeable and helpful folks. stay hydrated!
    NTFTC