1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Beginner Looking to upgrade,help?

Hi People,
    Im new to the forums and am looking for some advice. I picked up a Trek 3700 to begin with to see if i like biking, turns out i do. I like the Trek for going onto some light trails. But after getting a little more experience. Im interested in picking another bike for some downhill fun, some jumps and drops 5-8ft drops, and the usual light trails that i hit. There is a video on the net where i see some guys going down this hill up some ramps a few jumps nothing too serious, i think it's a trail in Seattle.

But basically i just want my bike to be able to handle the situations listed above, also probably interested in going down stairs and such. Biketech turned me onto the 2008 Giant STP which seems to be what i want but are there any other bikes i should check out? $500-$1000 seems to be my price range. I don't want an entry level bike but rather a bike that when i am confident and skilled enough will be able to take the abuse. Thank you for your input as a i greatly would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Man, i dont know... Thats not a lot of money for an aggressive downhill fs bike.

Your best options are:

- Used.

- Get lucky at a LBS who has an 06' bike to sell.

- Ibex Bikes. (check out the ibex forum on here - they are always hungry for more people to join the cult.)

However.... I stayed away from online buying because I cant test ride. Take that into consideration.

That giant you mentioned - is that the new entry level fs rig they have (kinda looks like a reign frame)? If it its, that seems pretty sweet. You could pick that up for just under a grand and i think it would work well for you.

mtbr member
    your best bet would be to get a freeride type hardtail. Something along the lines of a Kona Cowan, Jamis Komodo, Gary Fisher GED, ect. Full suspension bikes are pretty expensive and buying used can be kinda iffy unless you really know what your looking for.

AKA Dr.Nob
    Quote Originally Posted by cteampride
    Man, i dont know... Thats not a lot of money for an aggressive downhill fs bike.

Your best options are:

- Used.

- Get lucky at a LBS who has an 06' bike to sell.

- Ibex Bikes. (check out the ibex forum on here - they are always hungry for more people to join the cult.)

However.... I stayed away from online buying because I cant test ride. Take that into consideration.

That giant you mentioned - is that the new entry level fs rig they have (kinda looks like a reign frame)? If it its, that seems pretty sweet. You could pick that up for just under a grand and i think it would work well for you.
    Ummm..

Nowhere in the OP was a full suspension bike mentioned.

And the Giant STP is a hard tail, it's been around for years.

Most companies make bikes that will do what you want to do. Look for a dirt jump/freeride hard tail.

Check out Norco, GT, Kona and many more (I only mentioned these because companies make a few different models that will be able to do what you want.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks guys ill look into in.