1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Beginner Looking for Advice

Another newbie seeking some help.

I'm 6'0" and about 260 lbs and wanted to get into the sport to help get into shape. I have absolutely no experience with any type of bikes (haven't ridden a bike in 15 years) so I'm still doing some research. I've been looking at the Trek 6000, but I'm curious if my size limits bike options for me. I'm looking to spend around $1000 for a bike. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Also, if there is anyone in the Puget Sound area in Washington state that could recommend some bike shops, that would also help me out.

spec4life???..smh...
    Here is a link to a list of bike shops in washington and a short reveiw of each. As far as bikes go, just go to one of these shops and talk to the guys there and let them know your situation. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united...S_6288crx.aspx

don't thread on me
    You are definitely well into the Clydesdale size category (u r a BIG guy)

There is a Forum just for Clydesdales that you should go to and post this question. Lots of great advice for us larger folks.

FYI. I am 6'4" and 218 and I ride a 21.5" Trek 6000 Disc. Love the frame , but I am going to upgrade the front fork (Dart 3) and wheel set before long. You will also want to change saddles immediately. (I went with WTB Rocket Pro V)

Good luck.

PS - Test ride EVERYTHING you can before you buy. Each Brand has it's unique qualities and geometry.
    sign here ________________________

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    I'm only 7 lbs. lighter than you I chose a Specialized rockhopper comp disc. Sticker is $940 I got it on sale for $748. My advice is goto the different shop and RIDE tons of bikes. Get a good feel and remember just because you like it at one shop doesn't mean you have to buy it there. Watch for sales and maybe you can find a good deal!