1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Beginner: Help me buy a bike

Hi!!

Looking to buy my first mtb and im have these entry level options available at the LBS:

Merida matts 20md
    2013 Matts 20-MD Specifications | 2013 Bike Range | MERIDA Australia

Mongoose tyax sport
    Mongoose | Tyax Sport, a Hardtail Mountain Bike with SRAM X4 Components

Fuji Nevada 1.7D
    2013 Fuji Nevada 1.7D Mountain Sport Bike - Adventure Mountain Bikes

Cannondale trail 6
    http://www.cannondale.com/ind/2013/b.../trail/trail-6

Giant revel 1d
    Revel 1 D (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International

Which one I should go for? Im pretty much a noob when it comes to specs so im having a hard time deciding.

mtbr member
    Those are all extremely similar in geometry and specs. It would be extremely hard to say which one is "better" In that price range you might be better off with a used bike that is of better quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    unfortunately I dont have any used ones available in my part of the world

mtbr member
    What sort of riding do you want to do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll be commuting to work and hitting the trail on weekends.

Bike to the Bone...
    If you're new, probably a new bike is best, unless you trust the seller.
    While they maybe don't have much differences, the most important in choosing a bike is that the bike is your size. This is where a good bike shop could help, and buying new could be a better idea.
    Personally, from brand point of view, I would prefer Merida, Cannondale or Giant. But look at them and see which one you like the most and which one fits you better.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by occulta View Post

Which one I should go for? Im pretty much a noob when it comes to specs so im having a hard time deciding.
    They are all almost identical. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in any of the components. Just know that Suntour XCM is better than XCT, so I recommend the Giant or Fuji. After that I recommend taking them for a test ride around the block if possible. At this point your decision should be based upon: fit, looks, and price. Buying the cheapest one will give you a little money to get a helmet, gloves, pump, or other accessories.

Both Giant and Fuji are good brands - ask about warranties and stuff too. If you can get the Fuji for less, go for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    They are all almost identical. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in any of the components. Just know that Suntour XCM is better than XCT, so I recommend the Giant or Fuji. After that I recommend taking them for a test ride around the block if possible. At this point your decision should be based upon: fit, looks, and price. Buying the cheapest one will give you a little money to get a helmet, gloves, pump, or other accessories.

Both Giant and Fuji are good brands - ask about warranties and stuff too. If you can get the Fuji for less, go for it.
    Can you explain why the XCM is better than the XCT?

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Can you explain why the XCM is better than the XCT?
    XCM utilizes 30mm stanchions while XCT has 28mm. XCM also apparently is easier to service.

From these threads:

Confused about low end Suntour suspension forks

Suntour XCM broke being replaced with XCT, opinions?

Co Springs
    - If the bikes are very similar, test riding them might help you decide. The fit or feel of a bike (even if on paper they are the same geometry) might give you a gut feeling. I had that experience while thinking strong about a Gary Fisher model but I could not get the correct size bike to feel right. You can move and shift around or adjust things so any bike will offer some fitment options.

- If the bikes are offered at different stores, you may check the warranty or free service a shop might offer over another one. Some shops here offer free tune-ups a few times a year. Any added services like that may set one shop apart from another.

- If nothing else comes up to set them apart I might look at the tires/tread design to see which one has the better choice for most of my type of riding.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 10-09-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling

29ers Forever
    Cannondale has great frames, so you could buy the Trail 6 and upgrade from there.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For trail riding the fork is the most important part of the bike. At least for the fun/difficult trails with rocks, roots and fast downhill bumps.
    The forks on these choices will be great for commuting. But Suntour has described their limits----

RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep clibps or downhills!
    Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Cannondale has great frames, so you could buy the Trail 6 and upgrade from there.
    The Cannondale frame is no better than the others. Cannondale frames are made overseas just like most other big manufacturers out of the same material and utilizing similar geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have now decided to up my budget and am now looking at the giant revel 0.. I noticed differences in the fork and derailleurs between the 2012 and 2013 models.. Is the 2013 model an upgrade or a downgrade compared to the earlier one?

2013- Revel 0 Disc (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | South Africa

2012- Revel 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Advice?

mtbr member
    Advice?
    patience this is a world wide community so you should except a day for peeps from the other hemisphere to chime in.

For the 2 years. the giant the bikes are similar but the differences are big personal preference.
    Your are comparing entry level SRAM and Shimano. Its like comparing vanilla to chocolate ice-cream. Some like one more than the other.
    Bottom end RS fork and bottom end Suntour Fork. Same analogy
    Mechanical brakes and starter hydraulic brakes. This is going to be a personal preference. If possible ride both and pay a lot of attention to how the brakes feel and ask a lot of questions on how to tune each type since you will be fiddling with the brakes a lot. Its going to be up to you to pick which you like best.

Hi.
    Advice?
    Get the 2012 (with Rockshox and Avid brakes). And make sure it's cheaper than the 2013l, since it's last year's model. You're welcome.