1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Beginner to the fullest

Just purchased my first mountain bike, basically to use as a weekend-roamer when camping and to use at the local state parks.

I wasn't in need of anything extremely fancy. To be honest, a department store bike would fit me just fine but I would rather purchase local so I went with a 2014 Specialized Hardrock 26 from my lbs.

Taking it on the local trails has been an absolute blast, can't get enough of it! Down the road, I would like to do some small upgrades here and there which is the reason for the post.

I know I should have splurged and spent an extra hundred or so on the SE Disc, but it is what it is. The current brakes for my level suite me just fine.

If I were to replace the fork, what would be my options without having to replace the tires and whatnot? Also, if I were to go with disc brakes down the road, would it be a viable option on my current bike?

Thanks for any assistance, just looking for some general info!

Edit: I should also state i'm 5'11' 180 pounds, and general riding will be trails (roots, rocks, ect.. small drops, and I mean very small)...so much fun!

mtbr member
    Rock Shox has 26" forks in several levels and price ranges, all disc compatible. Specialized says your frame has a caliper hanger, so your good to go to convert if you wanted.
    If I were you though, I'd ride it as it is while working on base fitness and skills, then when the time comes for upgrades, sell it and get another bike with all the stuff on it that you wished you had on this one.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

T.W.O.
    I would not upgrade to the immediate level above, if you can skip at least 2 levels. Spend a bit more and get nicer fork that would last.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I would not upgrade to the immediate level above, if you can skip at least 2 levels. Spend a bit more and get nicer fork that would last.
    +1 on this

A better fork is definitely worth the extra cash...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Also remember that you will have to upgrade your wheels to a disc-compatible wheelset if you decide to convert to disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Beginner to the fullest

If I were to stick with my current brakes and just upgrade the fork, what would be by options?

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2