1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Beginner Fork Question

Just bought a bike that was equipped with a Spinner Grind 1 fork from the manufacturer (Diamondback). I believe I would like to upgrade the fork, I ride light trails and road, dont get real aggressive. I would like to have a little nicer fork none the less. What would be a nice middle of the road fork for me to consider? thanks from a beginner!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What are you looking to spend? Forks can get VERY expensive very quickly.

mtbr member
    Which Diamondback bike did you buy? Upgrading the fork is not a trivial project. As Rocketbass88 indicates a fork upgrade can cost quite some money. Contributing factors are: The fork itself - $150 to $300 (internet) or $200 to $400 in the shop, assuming nothing too fancy. The fork needs to be installed, including moving the race from the old fork to the new, steerer tue cut, starnut set...Would take you a while to do so you pay the shop for their experience and tools. Probably another $50 to $100 gone.

There is also a technical aspect. The new fork needs to fit the bike. Size and travel needs to be compatible. Brake mounts need to fit. Diameter of steerer tube nees to be the same (1.5 versus 1 1/8). Through axle versus QR... Most of this is obvious and standardized. But it is possible to make a costly mistake buying the wrong fork.

The fork needs to fit you. Forks come in two kinds. Air sprung (more expenisve) and coil sprung. Coil sprung forks need to have a coil that fits your weight. Typically there are 3 coils for a fork, soft/medium/hard. If you fall into the 150 lbs to 200 lbs block typically the medium coil most forks come with will work. However...

Anyway, in short: Upgrading the fork might be ecconomically unattractive. You might be better off buying a new bike. Please double check or post more information on the bike for better guidance. The forum is happy to help.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Probably is the 150 to 200 range. Nothing really fancy, but an upgrade from what I currently have.

Tossin the salad.
    I had a spinner grind on my first bike (diamond back). If I remember correct it was a 80mm.

Try to get one with at least 100mm for sure

mtbr member
    well look at a rock shox dart series, the dart 3 can be yours for under 150 but there isnt a whole lot of upgrade from what you have now, i would check out a rock shox tora i think right around 200

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...3+Fork+07.aspx

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+Fork+07.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    in addition to what kba said, and maybe i missed it in the explaination, you also need to determine is the fork is threaded or threadless. years ago, i bought a threadless fork for a threaded bike. i got the stem, and headset and had it installed where i worked so no big deal for me, but can be quite confusing if you do not have the knowledge or the expert guidance that i had. the dart is a decent fork, but get a dart 3 if any dart at all. my trek came equipped with a dart three and i swapped the spring almost immediately.i am holding out until i cannot take this one anymore, then i will buy a better fork.. and yes they do get very expensive very fast. be careful.. have fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thank you everyone! You have been quite helpful, and have resolved my issue. I am going to ride the thing until it breaks and go on from there. Seems to make the most sense to me. Thanks again!