1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Beginner DJer

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Beginner DJer

Now I'm 13 and want to get into dirt jumping. I'm looking to get a entry level DJ mtb since my K mart mongoose can't even handle a ten eighty ramp without something on it bending. I'm wondering which bike to get. I was looking at the Mongoose Fireball 08, 07 KHS DJ50, and GT chucker 2.0. I really can't exceed $600 so bikes like Kona and Specialized will be out of range. I'm planning on using the bike on the trails, riding around the neighborhood, but also riding jumps and urban environments. Also, would the Mongoose Ritual be worth getting over the Fireball? I'm not sure if i would like SS or multiple gears better. I'm really a newb in all of this. :\

mtbr member
    Giant STP is a nice choice...frame wise anyway. Later when your parents or yourself have some spare change you may be able to upgrade key parts later such as wheels, but generally its a great entry bike into DJ, which does not bust the bank:

STP SS US Model:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1286/29385/

STP US Model:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1286/29384/

This one is a bit more expensive so it may be above your paygrade...but the added parts are worth the extra dosh.

if you can somehow save about $1000. and wait a little longer, you may be able to get something that will take the abuse of learning...because crashes are an event that are inevitable and that where that little bit of extra cash will be well spent. I know its hard but see how you go as I know you may not be able to afford that kind of bike right now...maybe later though. Its always hard though when you want it now though.

good luck...

Actually the Ausy model is great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yea the STP looks real nice. I like how it's pretty much big bmx bike. I may possibly just wait 2 years and grow out of my 24 in mongoose(if it doesn't break by then) and get a nice bike like that. And i was also wondering which would be better,SS or multi gear? Idk if its just my bike but i could never find a good gear combination to get me going fast on the street. My friends bmx i had no problem with. I live on Long Island so the trails are flat and i may not need multi gears, but it would be much more convenient I think.

mtbr member
    i ride a mongoose ritual and i love it, if you were to look into something used you can save a ton of money that way but since you dont really know what to look for specifically then i would say go new to have a LBS help you out, have you checked out the gary fisher opie i think its around 425ish dollars and its a nice frame, granted some of the components are not so great but since you are only 13 im assuming you dont weigh over 150 pounds so you will be less abusive on your gear, you could get away with using the opie untill you are bigger and go bigger, personally if you are looking to ride it around town and dj and maybe some xc trails then i would go gears but that is my personal preference

so i would look into the gary fisher opie or mullet i think its around 650, the mongoose fireball actually has better components than the opie so i would check on that, i dont think the ritual is worth the extra money (i got mine used so i paid alot less than retail prices) or maybe even check the scott voltage line, they offer many different packages and prices

any of those three would make awesome starter dj bikes

mtbr member
    I used to ride a gaint stp3 and that was geared and i liked it a lot because i used it more for xc then anything else but i recently purchased a giant stp ss and i absolutley love it becuase all i do with it is dirtjump and urban riding, and the more u ride the more u will like ss and if u want a geared bike then buy one, becuase most teenagers eventually get jobs and such and can (hopefully) manage their money, as i am right now saving for a gary fisher pirhana. Another option is going ss in the front and eight in the back so u get the best of both worlds. I am actually loving the norco havoc or possibly the rocky mountain flow raw.
    Bikes

~2007 Giant STP SS~
    -Rocky Mountain Element 10-

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thx for the help pple. I may just wait and grow out of my 24 crappy mongoose since I'm still going through puberty. By then i prob can get something like a giant stp. How are the Jamis Komodos?

mtbr member
    i road a komodo and it is defiantly more dirt jump oriented and it steered just a bit different than my stp but i did like the geo quite a bit, just get out there and ride some, you dont lose anything by trying them out.
    Bikes

~2007 Giant STP SS~
    -Rocky Mountain Element 10-

I post too much.
    For street the komodo would not be my pick, for Dj it's a bit slack for my liking but it must be quite stable.