1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Hi!!!

Beginner clinic...what did you miss out on?

For folks here that have taken a beginner clinic in a classroom setting, what stuff did you miss out on that the instructor forgot or neglected and you learned elsewhere?

I went to a clinic a couple of weeks ago at my store (I work parrtime at REI) that was given by a local author. While he was very knowledgeable, there were a number of things that got skimmed over quickly or missed entirely. But then again it was only an hour clinic.

I'm going to another one on Wednesday night and I'm gonna try to contribute as much as I can. But other than the basics (buying a bike, other equipment, trails to ride), what else is there?

I think one thing I want to hit on is the transportation of your bike if you don't live next to a trailhead. That is something that has been missed in past clinics and can make up a big chunk of somone's budget.

What else is there that may not be very apparent?

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    May 2006
    90 rpm

Rokken with Dokken
    Trail etiquette, perhaps?

mtbr member
    If anyone in here is in or around Texas and ever wants to try out mountain bike racing, be sure to attend one of these 'Beginner Clinics' that our race team hosts the Saturdays before the next day's TMBRA race.

http://www.tmbra.org/raceclinic/raceclinic.htm

I did it before my first race last fall and it helped a lot. Just thought I'd share the info.

mtbr member
    Nick, have you done the comprehensive maintenance clinic at REI? I think its like 4 hours and is $75 for members. Wondering if it was worth it.

I was thinking about doing it...although it sux, because the price went up $15 for the clinic since last month.