1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Beginner Bike for Gunnison, CO?

First post, and yes, another "What type of Bike?" thread. I will possibly be moving to Gunnison, CO next month, and am wondering what type of mountain bike I'd be happy on. Will I be happy on a hardtail for riding Hartmans and the trails around Crested Butte, or will I want a FS for this type of riding?
    Some things about myself and my situation:

• I've never ridden a mountain bike, but don't envision myself getting too knarly/extreme on a mtn bike. I'd like to save my body for other fun activities, and I've separated my shoulder three times already. That's enough of that.
    • I'm athletic, 6' 1", 180lbs
    • Budget of $800 max

I've done quite a bit of lurking, and still feel like I don't know anything. However, I've read enough of the "What Bike?" threads to know about the Marin 29er eBay bike. I've also figured out that I don't want a crappy Suntour fork. That's about the extent of my bike knowledge so far.
    I'm thinking used will give me more bang for my buck, so I've been scouring Craigslist in hopes of gathering some beta before the move. Thoughts on any of these/ suggestions for Gunnison/CB bikes to specifically look for? Is size Large/ 19" the right (rough) size to be looking for?

Black Forest Focus Mountain bike

Specialized Rockhopper 19"

2010 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disk 21" - $500 (offers accepted)

Like New Specialized Rockhopper 29er

26er MTB: 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Thanks in advance for all opinions/suggestions/thoughts.

Jon

I'd rather be on my bike
    I would be all over that Stumpjumper Elite. No joke, that is a really nice bike. Had the model below that one, and I loved it, and rode all kinds of terrain on it. If I was moving to CO (used to live in the Springs) a FS would be my first choice.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1398/2500

mtbr member
    Can you sit on or ride any of these? Fit is very important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Can you sit on or ride any of these? Fit is very important.

Yes, I'll be moving to Denver first, so I'd be able to test ride and fit them all before I bought. At 6' 1", is the large range a good starting point? Or would XL bikes be more likely to fit?

mtbr member
    Take some time to visit a nearby bikeshop and test ride some bikes. That should help you better hone into what would be something you might like.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" & recently picked up a Jamis in 21. Makes a lot of difference in ridability over a 19. Go by your lbs or even call up some of the CL posters & ride their bikes to check fit in different size and geo. My lbs has aboout a dozen demo/rentals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    IME, you're in the general range for a Large.

I also like that Stumpy.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.