1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New question here. Beginner Bike Decision

Hello fellow forum members! I have been lurking in the Beginners Corner forum for the last few weeks trying to soak up all the information regarding purchasing new bikes..and was overwhelmed pretty quickly.

Anyway, I am now deciding between getting a 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL 17" for $1000 or getting a 2007 Cannondale Prophet 800 for $1100 which has been ridden ~3 miles.

What do you guys think would be better for riding around North/Central Jersey (e.g. Lewis Morris Park) and just all around riding? Nothing really crazy (yet)

Or is there a whole other bike(s) that I should look at?

Thanks in advance for the help !

Seva

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Which model Prophet? There's nine on bikepedia.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Search.aspx...+Prophet++2007

I highly doubt a 3+ year old $1500+ Cannondale was only ridden three miles.

If I had your budget, I'd go with a full suspension cross country bike like the Fantom Elite OR look for a deal on a Titanium hardtail.

Underskilled
    a mile a year, that seems normal for most riders

local jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant

thats all i ride
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya
    Which model Prophet? There's nine on bikepedia.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Search.aspx...+Prophet++2007

I highly doubt a 3+ year old $1500+ Cannondale was only ridden three miles.

If I had your budget, I'd go with a full suspension cross country bike like the Fantom Elite OR look for a deal on a Titanium hardtail.

I believe this is the bike but its orange instead.

And assuming that the owner isnt lying by saying the bike has been in his Lake House after he rode it only one time a few miles, should I still consider the bike? Also, I was trying to spend less than $1000 but then this bike came along and I had to bump up my price range a litle.

Any suggestions on Titanium hardtails?

Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    hahah you never know, those three miles could have been ridden up the side of raging volcanoes..

local jackass
    i like the specs on the phantom elite seems nice and i got nothing on a titanium hardtail but i currently ride a HT and will be going to FS at the end of the month im tired of being beaten to death on every ride i go on
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy1
    i like the specs on the phantom elite seems nice and i got nothing on a titanium hardtail but i currently ride a HT and will be going to FS at the end of the month im tired of being beaten to death on every ride i go on
    Are HTs that bad or do you just go on very intense trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you get the motobecane, take it to a bike shop to have it built up, unless you really know what you're doing. Several friends bought bikesdirect bikes last year and all of them had weirdo issues with parts. Nothing terribly expensive or dangerous, just little stuff that happened at the worst times. Just have it looked over... save yourself the hike back home.

The prophet is a very cool do-it-all bike, just take a good look at it, check to see if the fork makes noise when it's compressed, make sure all the pivots seem to be moving as needed.
    I'm sure either bike would treat you right, but they're vastly different bikes. Go test ride a hardtail 29er, then go take the prophet for a test ride, then figure out which one feels more fun to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepingseva
    I don't think they are that bad and I am a big rider on some pretty rough WV rocks and roots. It is all about the rider though. What is good for me might not be good for you. But I have only been riding a year so ask me again in a couple more years and I might be singing a different tune while cruising around on a squishy bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepingseva
    No, they're not. It's just at your budget it doesn't make since to not buy a full-suspension XC or AM bike. Once you start hitting some fast downhill on a hardtail, you'll wish you had the luxury of full suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya
    No, they're not. It's just at your budget it doesn't make since to not buy a full-suspension XC or AM bike. Once you start hitting some fast downhill on a hardtail, you'll wish you had the luxury of full suspension.
    I thought to get a good full suspension bike you had to spend a decent amount of money (more than $1k, my budget)

Anyway, I don't think I will be getting the Prophet because I will have to drive 3+ hours just to test ride the bike, and I recently rode a Cannondale 29" bike (forget what kind, it had a Dart 3 fork, it was red, and was about $850 at a LBS) and I liked the feeling of it even though the disc brakes were not tuned that well.

I figure that the Fantom 29Pro SL will be a solid bike reading all the people raving about how solid it feels and what a good deal the bike is for how much it costs.

Basically, are there any reasons not to order the Motobecane?