1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Beginner Bike for $400

Any suggestions Ive been looking at the Diamondback Overdrive. Willing to go a little over $400 but less then $500.

mtbr member
    There are not a whole lot of new quality bikes in that range. You might be better off looking at a year end closeout or used.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just bought the overdrive sport on amazon for $499 & free shipping. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Love the hydro disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How'd you get it for $499? I've been watching and for the last three weeks or so it has been $549?

OP, if that really is the max of your budget, yeah new the Overdrive is the only real option.

But listen to moefosho, the sport has a much better front fork, and much better breaks. In my opinion, worth the extra $150.

Really, truly.

Also there is patience. Keep scoping out for a used bike. I watched craigslist like a hawk, some stuff came up, nothing really that awe inspiring, but it is an option. Your price point really is bottom of the barrel though.

Consider the Overdrive Sport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'll give you my 2012 Scott Aspect 60 for $175

Or my 09 RH Pro (down to <25 lbs) for $450.

Bam lol

Entry level Kona's a couple years old usually have good geo and are built to last.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Been looking at the Kona Shred but 2013 version is expensive hows the Lanai

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Go used. Look on CL and Pinkbike, post up some finds and we can help you decide and also let you know if it's worth it (components/condition/etc).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
    How'd you get it for $499? I've been watching and for the last three weeks or so it has been $549?
    It went up to $750 the day after I placed the order, then back down to $549 a few days later. I think I got the benefit of a pricing error. $549 is still cheaper than the base model overdrive locally. I'm pretty happy with it so far.I'll be posting a review in a few days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just posted one a couple of days ago. I'm super psyched, but have been sick with some nasty cold. Just staring at my fork, wanting to pound that f'er!

Oh, and good shiz on that deal. I would have liked to get that, I bought two at the same time, one for me and my wife. Coulda saved a hundred bucks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Tried CL everything that looked decent was way over my budget called my local bike shop they said they had this Raleigh Bicycles Talus 5.0 is it a good buy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keanudabeast View Post
    Tried CL everything that looked decent was way over my budget called my local bike shop they said they had this Raleigh Bicycles Talus 5.0 is it a good buy
    looks OK to me.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a bike for $619 delivered with a Raidon air fork and Shimano Alivio/Deore drive.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    This is trail ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Edit: Nvm bike was too big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Here's a bike for $619 delivered with a Raidon air fork and Shimano Alivio/Deore drive.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    The price is wrong, and the fork is wrong. Two big wrongs. Were you referring to a different bike????

A different gravity?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Edit: Nvm bike was too big.
    This was the other thing I saw about buying used, not only do you have to get a good deal on a decent bike, you've got to do it in your size.

It is doable, but it probably will take time, and the risk that there will be difficulties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i went used. i checked CL just about every hour. i eventually found my Trek Fuel 90 for 350. sure its 9-10 years old but the fork is new and rides strong. i am sure you can find a great used bike it just takes patience. it took me about 3 months to find my bike. if you can find a new one online or something, do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The price is wrong, and the fork is wrong. Two big wrongs. Were you referring to a different bike????

A different gravity?
    haha, OOOHHH, I get it now. Too bad it took me a while to figure out I really should wear a helmet.

hehe!

mtbr member
    end of the year closeout is the way to go. A buddy of mine found a 2011 Wahoo (26 back then) last year for 400 when it was originally 6 something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Guys check this out for me Stumpjumper FSR comp- Large he said it was a size large and im 5'8. So will it fit me and is it worth $500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

A different gravity?
    This is the right Gravity---the Point 1.
    When you look at the first link the bike is 419 delivered.
    When you look at the second link the Raidon air fork upgrade you need for trail riding is 189+12 ship.
    This gets you to a trail ready bike for $620 with an air fork that compares with a Recon Silver or better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, I figured that out, see my above post. I didn't see the second link in there. I'm sharp like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Guys check this out for me Stumpjumper FSR comp- Large he said it was a size large and im 5'8. So will it fit me and is it worth $500.
    Will not fit you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What size should I look for medium

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Probably but why guess? Ride some bikes and see how they feel. Then you are ready.