1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: beginner 101

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

beginner 101

I live in the North East, almost 40

I am a Hockey Player first..6 foot with Game weight of about 215. so I am just about a clydesdale I guess...lol... I play approx 42 weeks a year, up to 3x a week and roughly 3-4 tournaments in the winter which can be 4-5 games in 36 hours. This sport is also expensive like MTB can be

I am a mountain Biker second ,not very aerodynamic and ride as often as I can in the spring/summer to stay in relative shape for Hockey.

I have an Iron horse FS bike and I am starting to realize I want to upgrade...everything...but I know little besides what I read and whats expensive.

I want to learn about components... and bike set up...

Is it wise to buy a fame and gradually build it to have a second bike? Thus completing my task of learning how things work and fit and maintaining them.. Is it too much to do??
    how do I pick a frame? there are sooooo many I cant ride.

My LBS carries 2 brands at best...and only top name brands..IE specialized...trek...

I have a budget of $1500 for doing this project.

I will be riding mainly wooded trails with little down hill..plenty of small climbs.... mostly loose stone, dirt, ruts and minor 2 foot drops...typical packed marked trail stuff...

Learning all the components can be daunting for a Hockey Player...

any thoughts /suggestions

love this place for info!
    Last edited by onabike; 04-27-2006 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    I live in the northeast as well and I know the riding conditions here. I would say buy a complete bike from a local dealership that knows what they are doing. If you were to build a bike component by component you need to know a lot about bikes and if you screw something up you'll have to pay a lot to get it fixed. I would recommend since you mentioned Specialized to get the BigHit I. It may seem like overkill for what riding you are doing now, but being a bigger hocky player yourself you would want that more beffy and strong of a bike. You may want to get a stiffer coil for the front shock becuase it maybe too loose. Haro also makes some good bikes for the price like the Extreme X7 which is $1600. The Trek Session 7 is also a good bike. I know they have size large clearouts from the 2005 models and you can get them very cheep. At a local dealership they are selling them for $1650. By the way what state do you live in? Hope my information was helpful.
    Last edited by mountainbiker9109; 04-27-2006 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    You mention that you currently have a Ironhorse FS, what model/year is it? Ironhorse has made some very good frames in the past and might be worth upgrading VS entire new unit.

There's no app for this.

agree and let me add

www.speedgoat.com is in your neck of the woods. One of the best frames can be had - for not too much loot, move the parts over from the I-H bike if that's an avenue for you?

Check the cost of a Santa Cruz Heckler frameset @ $1050 USD.

FWIW I got mine when I was 53, so it's a *geezer approved* bike

here you go. <-- click here

ride hard take risks
    JimC know his crap & i cannot say no to a Heckler, mountainbiker9109 also has good points & of course i cant forget the suggestion of rebuild from 006_007 because IH does have great frames. Ok call me a kiss ass. I will suggest a Ibex Asta Pro, has excelent components for the price. They are a net company so you will get the bike in a box. The bike in a box is almost compleat but you will have to put on the basic parts witch is what you are looking for, something to build. Awsome bike at a beyond real price & you get to do toutchy feeley.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html

banned
    Apr 2006
    wow nice mountain bike plan to get a new one. any set up you could recommend guys?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for all the input
    9109... great info...tips, I am from NY Upstate...Lots of nice trails....

Bike in a box sounds nice as well.....

I have no problem buying something I have never heard of B4 as long as they have quality...

My current frame is an Iron Horse G out.... 2000 if I remember correct.. I like the frame, just the components are well... not beefy enough for my size in my opinion...

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I also found a decent deal on a frame... if I go that route...

Giant VT1 Frame

Any thoughts on this frame.. I checked reviews and its hard to get feedback from only positive owners

ride hard take risks
    Not a bad frame the VT1, didnt last long on the market though.
    Here is some more positive reading for you.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibex/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    much appreciated all...