1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I like bikes.

Becareful what you post!

I asked a simple question, well atleast I thought it was. I have never heard of a 650b so I asked within a thread in the 650b section and got flamed majorly. Not really fair you can get -9 rep points for a single post/thread.
    The rep system needs to be revised so you can only get 1 neg rep per moronic post.
    I'm sure I'll keep getting more even after I got flamed and realized maybe I should have positioned my question slightly different since guys get their panties in a bunch really quick! I apologized and yet still recieved another -4 more reps??
    So, they ran out a newbie and now I feel unwelcomed.
    Shameful because I frequent a truck forum and guys that get a vacation when they hammer on newbie's. It doesnt do good for the forums or for advertising purposes either.
    650b guys are bullies and I'm outta here.

Good luck everyone. I wish I felt more welcome here
    Last edited by Dirtydogg; 08-16-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Corrected some terrible grammar and removed moderate
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    brought ya back.....

keep posting - you'll be fine.

it's only rep

Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Beer Me!
    Sorry buddy, not all of us are tools.
    I checked out your post....Wheel size is a very sensitive topic on these boards. Why? i have no idea, but its the one thing that seems to get everyone opinionated and grumpy. Though you meant it innocently enough, due to lots of trolling, and general flame wars over this topic you got caught in the crossfire. I am sure there are similar subjects on your truck forums as well that set people ablaze instantly.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    I read your unedited post and honestly, it did seem a bit trollish.

You do need to be more careful when asking noobish questions in the less mainstream forums. But it sounds like you learned your lesson.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

unpossibles
    I love....cake.

Repped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am a noob myself and are affraid to ask opinions on a potential BD bike bc people seem to hate them and any people that even are thinking about buying them SMH....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just ignore the rep system. Lets your posts be judged by content rather than by popularity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyduckdavis View Post
    I am a noob myself and are affraid to ask opinions on a potential BD bike bc people seem to hate them and any people that even are thinking about buying them SMH....
    Don't worry about either I bought BD bike and got advice from here most of the guys are cool and know what they are doing even the newer riders, I'm as rookie as they get but I get all my info from here, there are some BD fans in these posts. Which bike are u looking at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyduckdavis View Post
    I wouldn't go on the Trek forum and ask about BD bikes, that's not where you were thinking of going was it?

Ask on the questions in the Beginner's Corner all you want.

I bought a Ti road bike from BD a couple of weeks ago and it's been great so far. The box was a little beat up but nothing seems bent or broken on the bike. Took it on a 53 and 69 mile ride in the same week and it was great. Sorry, can't comment on their mtb but I've heard good things about them too.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    True it depends where you post and what you post, you'll get the hang of it

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    There is no excuse for anyone to jump someone that simply asks a question.

The "Beginner's Corner" is the correct forum to post any question regardless of topic from anyone that seeks knowledge. Most of the answers either come from other noobs that may be/were in a similar situation or from seasoned riders that genuinely desire to share knowledge (some learned the hard way).

It is the responsibility of each individual to evaluate the info provided and realize that there may be a lot of bias in many responses.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

T.W.O.
    I think if you post the same comment on the Beginner's forum you'd get a difference response and would not have earned the neg rep

Reading the rest of your respond did not give me the impression that you are a troll just wrong forum, some pos rep for you

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    I asked a simple question, well atleast I thought it was. I have never heard of a 650b so i asked within a thread in the 650b section. I got flamed majorly. Not really fair you can get -9rep points for a single post/thread.
    the rep system needs to be revised so you can only get 1neg rep per moronic post.
    I'm sure I'll keep getting more even after i got flamed and realized maybe i should have positioned my question slightly different because guys get their panties in a bunch really quick! I apologized and still recieved another -4more reps.
    So, they ran out a newbie. i feel unwelcomed.
    Shameful because i moderate a truck forum and guys that get a vacation when they hammer on newbie's. it doesnt do good for the forums or for advertising purposes.
    650b guys are bullies and I'm outta here.

Good luck everyone. Wish i felt more welcome here.
    Fixed

EDR
    You should try the 29'er or Turner forums. Much more relaxed over there.

I like bikes.
    WOW. Thanks everyone. Was starting to actually get depressed about the whole biking thing. Much different attitude over here! Kinda wish i didnt post over there at all now, but I will venture out and post in different areas so I can meet more people and learn a few more things.

Thanks for fixing things, although it wasnt expected. I do appreciate it.

I wont be going into 650b anytime soon. I own a 29er and plan to stick with 29er section.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

Beer Me!
    I wont be going into 650b anytime soon. I own a 29er and plan to stick with 29er section.
    WHAT!!! 650b is the best evr, y u no switch, stuuupid

Glad to hear we gotcha back.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

skilldest©
    I have never figured out the rep stuff. I have gotten neg rep pts and slightly confused over it. I have never given neg pts. I just move on if I don't like or understand what they post. Don't get depressed just move on.

IMO - there are a lot of people on here that know a lot of stuff and a very small % that are jackasses. Chin up!

+1 rep pt to you

Serenity now!
    I don't even know (or care) how to check my rep. I've noticed that the Interwebs seems to encourage socially unacceptable behavior in some people.:

mtbr member
    A smart move is always try searching the site or google something before asking if possiable.
    That's what I do.
    Many times you learn a lot more reading large threads then you would gettin short answers to questions that have been Asked countless times.
    It saves you from getting flamed by someone whose looking to be grumpy.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    I don't even know (or care) how to check my rep. I've noticed that the Interwebs seems to encourage socially unacceptable behavior in some people.:
    For example. I am going to add + 1 rep point to you for no reason at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Personally I put less than zero thought into someones rep points- it's the internet. Everyone has to start somewhere and I know damn well that everyone who bashed you has asked at least 10 stupid questions in their life time. People need to figure out that even if someone asks a dumb question there are ways to answer their questions without being an ass about it. In my line of work, I get dumb questions every day and usually they are the same ones from different people. I could blow up and get mad but choose the higher road and educate them instead- then I move on.

Read, ask and learn. Ignore the dumb crap and go out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i wonder if other boards i use have this rep system, because this is the first time i heard about it. OP i repped you +1. i guess just like all other places, there are trolls every where. and like most vet users would say, use a search function or google it. i to am major noob to mtbr, but folks can troll me all they want, im just here for the few that are willing to give unbiased opinions/help. good day.

AZ
    banned
    650b is like religion, and you know what happens when you discuss religion.

Yes, that's fonetic
    WOW. Thanks everyone. Was starting to actually get depressed about the whole biking thing.
    Really? Over what some strangers said on the internet??

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think people use the rep system wrong. I earned a negative rep. one time because someone didn't like my opinion. It was an opinion thread with opinion answers. I don't think you should give negative rep. if you don't agree with an opinion. Negative rep. should be used when people give inaccurate facts or data, or they are just being a tool.
    Many people really liked the same opinion that earned me a negative rep.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast